F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Changing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Oil

Okay so the dealer changed my oil the first time with the 600 mile checkup a while ago (well i hope), and now I'm getting to the point where I need to change my oil. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do it properly? Just figured I'd ask before I spend a whole day trying to figure it out. After all, it can't be harder than a car? Can it :P

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Changing Oil

Heres a site I bookmarked from when I browsed around this site:http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/

Borrowed from this page here: http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/

Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Drain plug on bottom, rear of the headers, remove and drain. Oil filter, in front between the headers below the radiator, remove and replace.
Fill spot on right side rear of the stator cover. Oil window on right side, check after full, middle of window.
No special tools, no fairing removal, 20 min tops.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I ♥ CBRF

That site pretty much nails the basics. Just like a car with some exceptions/recommendations:
Ireplace the crush washer every other change (just habit -some poeple never replace it). You'll also need a wrench for the filterto get that sucker off. I also torque the filter a littleto prevent oil spewing everywhere (hand tight didn't work...learned that thehard way). It says 30 mins but after your first time it will take about 15 mins...Real simple.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I ♥ CBRF

Am I the only one who uses a wrench to tighten the oil filter? My first time I hand tighten it and oil was leaking out....could be that I'm just a weak a$$. [:@]

Hand tight works on my car just never had good luck with that method on my bikes.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 AM

I've never had an issue with hand tightening mine, but then again I was able to loosen the factory one by hand as well on my '06.

ORIGINAL: Streetdemon

Am I the only one who uses a wrench to tighten the oil filter? My first time I hand tighten it and oil was leaking out....could be that I'm just a weak a$$. [:@]

Hand tight works on my car just never had good luck with that method on my bikes.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Gringo

I've never had an issue with hand tightening mine, but then again I was able to loosen the factory one by hand as well on my '06.

ORIGINAL: Streetdemon

death grip eh?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me an oil filter wrench and a rag between it and the filter to take the factory one off the first time (it was on way tight). But then now I use the new Fram filters that come with a special texture on the end, so it makes tightening and removing a lot simpler. I don't think I'll ever need to use an oil filter wrenchagain with thesefilters. BTW,changing your oil on the F4i's are simpler than on cars, but it's removing the side fairings to access the filterthat's a pain.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM

I use just my hands on the filter.

Also when you check the oil the bike needs to be standing straight and not leaning on the kick stand

Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: NeoClone

It took me an oil filter wrench and a rag between it and the filter to take the factory one off the first time (it was on way tight). But then now I use the new Fram filters that come with a special texture on the end, so it makes tightening and removing a lot simpler. I don't think I'll ever need to use an oil filter wrenchagain with thesefilters. BTW,changing your oil on the F4i's are simpler than on cars, but it's removing the side fairings to access the filterthat's a pain.
No need to remove the side fairings. You can just turn the front wheel to the side and reach in and remove the filter.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil