F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

THE CCTL Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Your gonna have to prove that one to me, because it doesn't make sense. Oil is not used in the operation of the tensioner at all, with the bike completely dry the cam chain should still have the correct tension on it.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand, however i do know (from UK) that they're sensitive to oil pressure; they do have oilways in them, at least what appear to be, even if they're not for operating.

I can also say that this corrected my issue having already tried a *lot* of messing with the CCT, taking it in and out etc.

I will note that i now can't find my aforementioned method of checking the oil for this engine, what i'm reading now is contradictory in nature (handbook in my hand states leave for 2-3 mins before checking)

#confused.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:13 PM

The auto CCT does require oil pressure/level to operate correctly.
the cam chain tensioner is purely mechanical, any oil that gets squirted on it happens in the natural course of being next to a really fast moving chain with oil on it.

bust open that old dead cam chain tensioner if you want to see how it works, it's very simple. it's a spring and a screw.

the cam chain, however, is lubricated by slinging oil, and having stupidly low oil level (or way too high, to the point where it foams) could definitely affect how much noise it makes in the long run... however this noise would be completely unrelated to the tension of the chain.

A lot of people aren't actually checking their oil level 100% correctly as it's a little different on these bikes.
all sport bikes with a sight glass are checked the same way.

checking your oil can be done any time you like, you don't need a stop watch to check the oil.

anywhere between the top and bottom lines when the bike is level is acceptable.

on a freshly shut down bike it should be lower, but still between the min/max lines. add oil only when you can't see oil in the sight glass.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 AM

Hi all.. I just replaced mine on my 89 Cane.. got it from the UK. Very nice quality work, billet aluminium and has stopped the chain noise 100% now. was 42 euro delivered to Europe which is pretty good i think for a decent bit of kit like this. Sellers were ccperformanceengineering on eBay .. The instructions were the icing on the cake though!!

Not affiliated with these guys but as its "THE CCTL THREAD" thought its relevant.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle on warm engine

After my engine has warmed up it starts to have a slight rattle sound that will go away at a stoplight of i have the clutch in. Does that confirm its the cctl? Bike runs perfect other than that. Thanks

Old 10-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by brads94f2
After my engine has warmed up it starts to have a slight rattle sound that will go away at a stoplight of i have the clutch in. Does that confirm its the cctl? Bike runs perfect other than that. Thanks
From what I understand,and what mine did, the CCT will rattle at elevated RPM.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
But not at idle?

Old 10-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott91370
Same here. Most audible in the 4-7k rpm range for me.

Originally Posted by brads94f2
But not at idle?
I suppose it is possible, but I've never heard of it. If it is the CCTL it will, quite literally, sound like you are rattling a small handful of BB's in a tin can.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Samson
Same here. Most audible in the 4-7k rpm range for me.

I suppose it is possible, but I've never heard of it. If it is the CCTL it will, quite literally, sound like you are rattling a small handful of BB's in a tin can.
Hmm, after its warmed up the knock or rattle is coming from right side. After ive been riding for like 30 plus minutes its a lil louder when sitting at a light. If i grab my clutch rattle goes away. I figured it would be cctl. Could it be vavles? Bike runs and idles fine

Last edited by brads94f2; 10-12-2022 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:31 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

I would think the only way you'd ever hear the valves is if they were super loose and that's the opposite of what happens on these bikes, so it seems very unlikely. Totally outside my experience at this point, so I'm not sure. Sorry, man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: THE CCTL Thread