F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CCT went bad yesterday. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brveagle
Definition of insanity...

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Buy an APE and be done with it.
I think you may have this backwards.

why would I want to buy something I have to keep adjusting and messing with.

I bought the automatic so i actually could be "done with it".

Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 AM

I think it usually goes something like this:
fit new manual cct
starts getting a little noisy
tighten it up
noisy again
tighten
noisey again
tighten
"£%&%^&^(^%*$%%
OOH SHI......
Guess i over tightened it
Buy new engine

Old 11-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Personally I say APC Manual Cam Chain Tensioner FTW! My OEM one failed and since I installed the APC I never looked back. Honestly I was skeptical at first, I did my research online and everywhere on just about every bike the positive reviews out number the neg. I say have it installed and enjoy the ride

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
July 2010 ROTM

i think monkeh has it right, this is why i wil never use a manual, an incorrect adjustment leades to a bad engine, where as a bad oem cct is just an annoying aound and only 60 bucks in parts. i also think theres a reason honda engineers used a automatic tensioner on their engines so that it could provide different loads depending on what was necessary to keep the engine reliable, and performing well. if they wanted to use a manual bc it was better then they would just have put one of those on it to begin with and just put it on the service list, i mean, they did that with the valves, u have to take thos in to get adjusted every once in awhile.

i know many people have done fine with the ape cct themselves, but the ones i know personally, they couldnt get it adjusted right and the bikes ran like crap and a couple burnt motors up bc of it. oem is the way to go-or let a shop mess with the ape-then they can be held liable

Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Very valad points with the whole automatic being able to adjust itself but the point is mines fixed now =D lol.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed APE cctl's on my old F2, my F4 and my F4i's.. as well as 2 friends F3's. All of the bikes are still running to this day without issue. If you install it correctly they are perfectly safe.

I tighten the adjuster until the noise goes away then back off half a turn. Tighten the locknut down and call it a job well done. Never had an issue with this method.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM

I tried to post the video of the sound but i couldnt get it to work. I took the video with my phone so if anyone knows how to get videos off a phone and can post it let me know.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 PM

i installed a manual cct when my sstock one took a dump and havent had n e problems since and btw when the "automatic" cct fails if u get on the throttle hard and let off fast it can cause the cam chain to jump a tooth and as long as u tighten the set screw it shouldnt come loose . . . and i have a question about this keep adjusting and messing with it isnt that how a drive chain works on a bike or how u change ur oil or spark plugs or air filter just wondering . . . just my 2 cents

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
July 2010 ROTM

just so people realize the op posted that his bike already had the ape on it and the shop adjusted it right for him so hes good now

Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 PM

^^^ What he said. I also posted the video of it in the general tech section for those who wanna hear how bad it was.

Quick Reply: CCT went bad yesterday. Advice?