CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   CCT went bad yesterday. Advice? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/cct-went-bad-yesterday-advice-118771/)

Jay_J 11-18-2010 08:30 AM

CCT went bad yesterday. Advice?

I was leaving work yesterday and noticed a funny noise the more I rode the louder it got but it would stop over 4krpm so I'm coming up to a light and as I'm sitting there it just died. I fired it back up the noise was still there and getting louder. Took it to a friends shop and let him hear it and he said it was more then likely the CCT. So I went to the Honda dealership(did not ride the bike there) took a short video if the noise and let there lead shop tech listen to it and he said it was the CCT. I went inside to order the part and the parts guy said he had an APE manuel he would sell me an install for 100 bucks. That seem like a good deal? I know I could probley do it myself but I don't wanna takle something like that just yet. If anyone thinks it could be something other then the CCT please post up before I spend 100 bucks. Thanks

pittsm 11-18-2010 09:25 AM

thats not a bad price on the part and install together.

you can get the part for around $45

its super easy to do though, i'd just save the cash and do it yourself.

here's my write-up, i went with the automatic vs. the manual cctl though.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-change-your-cctl-pics-116975/

Monkeh 11-18-2010 09:41 AM

Can you post the video please?
I think my cct might be going but as ive not got anything to compare it to i dont know if it is or not.

vangill 11-18-2010 10:01 AM

If it has a rattle like sound that's the cct. U can still ride the bike. U won't hurt it it's just an annoying sound. But 100 bucks installed and adjusted is great. I wouldn't trust myself to adjust an ape and I'm brave enough to do evryrhing else I've heard too many horror stories

pittsm 11-18-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by vangill (Post 988970)
If it has a rattle like sound that's the cct. U can still ride the bike. U won't hurt it it's just an annoying sound. But 100 bucks installed and adjusted is great. I wouldn't trust myself to adjust an ape and I'm brave enough to do evryrhing else I've heard too many horror stories

more reason to just buy the automatic oem and be done with it. why bring another step into the equation when you don't have to?

Jay_J 11-18-2010 12:29 PM

Alright I'll just have him do it. If I knew how to post a video I would. I think mine just all of a sudden failed. The reason I went with the manual one is one cheaper two looks better and three I won't have to replace the CCT ever again. Just adjust it every so often if it needs it.

NateDieselF4i 11-18-2010 12:58 PM

My buddy's went bad. One of the most annoying sounds ever. Having a video up on here would be nice though for a reference for everyone that might suspect their CCT going bad.

There are video hosting websites like Youtube and such where you could just link it. Someone else might have some better suggestions on how to link the video though.

and yes i'd pay the hundo - not bad at all.

Jay_J 11-18-2010 10:01 PM

Well good news. My bike has an APE manual tensioner. It came loose so all we had to do was tighten it back up and eveything is great. If I figure out how to post videos I will.

brveagle 11-19-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by pittsm (Post 988986)
more reason to just buy the automatic oem and be done with it. why bring another step into the equation when you don't have to?

Definition of insanity...

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Buy an APE and be done with it.

Dblock55 11-19-2010 11:17 AM

What horror stories have you heard of ppl installing a manual APE one themselves??? Im about to do this myself, so i would like to know how bad this can go lol

pittsm 11-19-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by brveagle (Post 989376)
Definition of insanity...

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Buy an APE and be done with it.

I think you may have this backwards.

why would I want to buy something I have to keep adjusting and messing with.

I bought the automatic so i actually could be "done with it".

Monkeh 11-19-2010 11:55 AM

I think it usually goes something like this:
fit new manual cct
starts getting a little noisy
tighten it up
noisy again
tighten
noisey again
tighten
"£%&%^&^(^%*$%%
OOH SHI......
Guess i over tightened it
Buy new engine

wattufaka 11-19-2010 02:14 PM

Personally I say APC Manual Cam Chain Tensioner FTW! My OEM one failed and since I installed the APC I never looked back. Honestly I was skeptical at first, I did my research online and everywhere on just about every bike the positive reviews out number the neg. I say have it installed and enjoy the ride :)

vangill 11-19-2010 07:44 PM

i think monkeh has it right, this is why i wil never use a manual, an incorrect adjustment leades to a bad engine, where as a bad oem cct is just an annoying aound and only 60 bucks in parts. i also think theres a reason honda engineers used a automatic tensioner on their engines so that it could provide different loads depending on what was necessary to keep the engine reliable, and performing well. if they wanted to use a manual bc it was better then they would just have put one of those on it to begin with and just put it on the service list, i mean, they did that with the valves, u have to take thos in to get adjusted every once in awhile.

i know many people have done fine with the ape cct themselves, but the ones i know personally, they couldnt get it adjusted right and the bikes ran like crap and a couple burnt motors up bc of it. oem is the way to go-or let a shop mess with the ape-then they can be held liable

Jay_J 11-20-2010 12:11 AM

Very valad points with the whole automatic being able to adjust itself but the point is mines fixed now =D lol.

Syphen 11-20-2010 12:52 PM

I've installed APE cctl's on my old F2, my F4 and my F4i's.. as well as 2 friends F3's. All of the bikes are still running to this day without issue. If you install it correctly they are perfectly safe.

I tighten the adjuster until the noise goes away then back off half a turn. Tighten the locknut down and call it a job well done. Never had an issue with this method.

Jay_J 11-20-2010 03:35 PM

I tried to post the video of the sound but i couldnt get it to work. I took the video with my phone so if anyone knows how to get videos off a phone and can post it let me know.

hites87 11-20-2010 05:40 PM

i installed a manual cct when my sstock one took a dump and havent had n e problems since and btw when the "automatic" cct fails if u get on the throttle hard and let off fast it can cause the cam chain to jump a tooth and as long as u tighten the set screw it shouldnt come loose . . . and i have a question about this keep adjusting and messing with it isnt that how a drive chain works on a bike or how u change ur oil or spark plugs or air filter just wondering . . . just my 2 cents

vangill 11-21-2010 04:06 PM

just so people realize the op posted that his bike already had the ape on it and the shop adjusted it right for him so hes good now

Jay_J 11-21-2010 10:41 PM

^^^ What he said. I also posted the video of it in the general tech section for those who wanna hear how bad it was.

ID_CBRRider 11-22-2010 10:12 PM

I fabbed up a manual CCT on my bike about 2 years ago that cost me all of 12 bucks. It's had about 14k miles on it since then I and I have yet to even mess with tightening it. Still runs great and up until a few months ago I used to ring my little F4i's neck, but then I got an RR so I could stop raping the F4i every ride out.