F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CBR noise. Video. Don't know what this is.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on does anyone have any idea?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 PM

I was just about to post about what might be the same noise. Not sure if this is what yours sounds like but mine sounds like it has a loose washer at certain rpm's. It will happen at 2k if you slowly bring it up. Also at 6k if you hold. I just bought the bike so I have no idea. It's definitely not a rod noise...it literally sounds like a washer rattling. I wonder if it's valve noise?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 PM

i have an 02 and mine makes about the same noise at 3k and 5 k. thought it was the cctl but not sure so im pullin the valve cover off tomorow and checking the valves. if i find anything interesting ill let you know. Name:  bike.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  18.3 KB

Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 AM

then Noice I hear between 5->6g are your key(ring-chain-extra keys )
My bike did the same thing so now I only have My bike key when I ride.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 AM

That was definitely different. Are you referring to the whining noise, or that crazy 'operating a SAW' noise? You can definitely notice that saw sounding noise at 2:28 when you were hitting the 6k rpm's. Is that what you were referring to?

That whining noise you had the entire time, that sounds exactly like my bike. I'm not even sure if that's normal or not?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same whinning noise with my f2,f4i and all my other friends cbr's. Its just a thing that 600's do.

As far as that rattling noise. I had the same thing. Bugged the hell out of me. It was a loose front fairing(on the wheel). There was enough clearance were if I didn't have a washer it would make a vibration. I put a washer no the bolts up front and bam it was gone.

I would assume you have a bolt that is vibrating or something that is. Nothing big. At a certain rpm you get a different frequency which can pulsate over the bike as a vibration. Remember the motor is right on top of you and doesn't use motor mounts like a car to reduce vibration.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Krux
I have had the same whinning noise with my f2,f4i and all my other friends cbr's. Its just a thing that 600's do.

As far as that rattling noise. I had the same thing. Bugged the hell out of me. It was a loose front fairing(on the wheel). There was enough clearance were if I didn't have a washer it would make a vibration. I put a washer no the bolts up front and bam it was gone.

I would assume you have a bolt that is vibrating or something that is. Nothing big. At a certain rpm you get a different frequency which can pulsate over the bike as a vibration. Remember the motor is right on top of you and doesn't use motor mounts like a car to reduce vibration.
I had the same problem yesterday. Rubber washer and it was gone. I can't hear the noise in the video but it's something to check. Also, the manifold bolts on my F2 had a way of working loose so something else to check

Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM

I have a simular sound around 5500 Rpm. Sounds almost like a rattle of a keychain from vibration. It doesn't really make the noise when the engine first cranks up but after about 45sec or so it'll start to do it. Seems to be in the 4500-6500 range.

My father through the idea out there that it might have something to do with the vacuum. He took a long thin piece of metal (like the width of a screw drive) and held it to his ear as he poked around the engine (listening to the vibrations from the piece of metal) as I held the RPM's where it was making the noise.

His exact words were "I am willing to bet you there is some kind of "fluttering" device that works off the vacuum and I bet you it is slightly out of place/bent ect causing all that racket". The area of the vibration was on the engine head right behind the radiator/fan area.

To me this makes sense as a possibility for a few reasons. 1. I have gone through and the bike (with all the fairings stripped off completely) and checked every bolt, etc. 2. My pops grew up rebuilding engines for hot rods/motorcycles and spends who knows how much time and money working on his Harley every weekend. 3. It's Pops and they seem to know best.

As the winter rolls near (end of this week from looking at the weather) I will be tearing the bike apart to go into more depth regarding this issue. If there is some kind of vacuum device that flutters or not...hell i dont know. but I am going to find out

The bike has been making the noise since I bought it with 7K miles on it... 8K miles later I have never had an issue with the bike so I dont think it can be anything TOO bad but it is an annoying lil noise. Good luck and as I find out anything I will certainly give you a heads up

Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

My 929 has a similar sort of rattly ringing noise on deceleration when going from about 6k to 4800 or so. Haven't narrowed it down yet, unfortunately

Someone mentioned it might be clutch springs, but I would imagine that clutch noises would sound like they're coming from the clutch cover. I could be very wrong though.