F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cali model

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali model

I know there are threads about the Cali model already, but I haven't found anything about what in looking for... Basically I bought this with a Yoshi slip on, I've noticed underneath on the mid pipe there is an o2 bung but there is a bolt blocking it off and no o2 sensor... I asked the previous owner about mods and he said it was completely stock except for the exhaust... If he didn't get it tuned or whatever it needs to remove the o2 sensor, how much if any power would I bee losing because of this? And would I be able to get notice a difference with the pc3?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

So you have a cali model with a slip on and no o2 yet theres no PC3 to tune the sensor out? I'd highly suggest getting one and getting a tune downloaded to it. With no signal coming from an o2 sensor it thinks is there the computer is thinking either A: its running super lean B: its running super rich or C: is in some sort of safe mode.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM

If its a California Bike it will have an EVAP Canister mounted under the bike around the kick stand area. It looks like a black coffee can. If it is a Cali model and there is no O2 sensor than its possible that the previous owner installed an O2 optimizer like this one https://cart.dynojet.com/p-814-senso...for-honda.aspx

If there is an O2 optimizer installed you shouldn't experience any decrease in performance as this tricks the system into thinking there is a functioning O2 sensor installed on the bike.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 AM

Well there is definitely a black dented coffee can looking thing underneath the bike (can that be removed for any power gains?)

But I've never seen or noticed anything that looks like that optimizer, where is it located at if its installed? I can post pictures of the o2 bung and what im pretty sure is the evap canister if that will help?

But yes there is no pc3 installed and there is a lot if black buildup on the muffler outlet as well so its prolly not running at optimal mixture either

Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 AM

As I understand it (and if someone knows more please chime in) the EVAP canister is used to filter evaporated gas fumes from the gas tank. The Canister holds and traps the evaporated fumes when the bike is off. On start up a vacuum operated valve opens routing these vapors back into the system to be combusted rather than venting to the atmosphere causing so called pollution.

I have a California model F4i and I have my EVAP canister and the O2 sensor removed with an O2 optimizer installed. I am also running a PCIII. When I bought the bike the previous owner had already installed the O2 Optimizer and the PCIII and have run that set up for close to 10k miles. With the PCIII I have been running the stock dynotune program for a Cali Model with a yoshi rs-3 and K&N filter. In order to do my 600rr swingarm conversion I had to remove the EVAP canister and have been running that set up now for close to 3k miles with the same PCIII tune. I haven't experienced any significant decrease in power or increase in power from removing the EVAP.

I think the addition of a PCIII and an O2 optimizer will help with your issues of running rich or lean.

This is the best advice I can give based on how I understand things. As I mentioned earlier there are probably guys on here that know a lot more about this then I do and maybe then can shed some more technical light on the subject.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM

I was just looking through the parts unlimited catalog and I guess there a pc3 and a California pc3? Is there really a difference?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM

And also, where if its installed, would the o2 optimizer be located? A picture would be super helpful lol

Old 06-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
Well there is definitely a black dented coffee can looking thing underneath the bike (can that be removed for any power gains?)
Remove the canister...its worthless & unnecessary. Was only there to comply w/ CA regs for sales in CA mkt. There are no smog inspections on motorcycles (yet) in CA. So, loose the evap canister. No, you won't get any "gains" by removing it. You'll simply delete an unnecessary unit. There have been threads/posts here in the past on how to delete/remove the CA emissions components.

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
But yes there is no pc3 installed and there is a lot if black buildup on the muffler outlet as well so its prolly not running at optimal mixture either
You don't necessarily "need" a PC. However, it would allow optimization of system settings.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Ill try and get a picture of the O2 Optimizer installed for you

Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

the O2 connector on the harness should have a plug in it. without it, and not running an O2 sensor, the FI light will be on. the bypass plug is just a resistor to allow the ecu to see a mid reading for mixture.

if you remove the EVAP canister, leave the solenoid plugged in or the FI light will go on as well.

Quick Reply: Cali model