F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

C(Sh)ould a F4i be riding in torrential rains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no need to insult the guy...

Anyway, check this out... I was on my way home from night classes once and it was raining pretty hard. The worst part was that I had my tinted visor on. Needless to say, if I closed my visor I couldn't see but with it open my eyes were getting raped by the rain. It was rough.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Fair Weather Riders, I THINK NOT! Glad to hear you made it through. LOL

I take a backpack full of cloths to go to work since it can decide to dump H2o anytime. But, I must say the T-Storms still gives me the chills. We have had 2 bikers struck by lighting in the last 6 months here, so when I'm rolling I probably look pretty damn funny laying down on the tank looking up at that sky and seeing if trees or power poles are around or whatever else may get struck besides ME! Thank gawd I have the mirrored visor, people can't see the look on my face! ROF*****!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 AM

And to think I passed my MSF course in a thunderstorm; "taking the curve" and "emergency braking" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be--still scared me a little.

Even though the whole ride was an experience, to me, the worst part was the fogged-up visor--"Damn, if I could only see." As said above, when I cracked the visor just to de-fog the visor, it felt like I was ride through a swarm of bees.

I've seen/heard the gimicks, but do fogless visors really work--especially in weather like that? Now, that will be a good investment for me.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised on how well the F4i handled in the rain; I frequently went through 4in puddles and the handling was superb. One thing that I did was NOT use the front brake at all; figuring hydroplaning starts at the front wheel.

(btw, I did lube the chain this morning before going to work.)

Old 06-27-2009, 12:02 PM

the scorpion helmet visors don't fog in heavy rain. Speaking from experiance

Old 06-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Ha. I got caught in storm like that once, It sucked. Yes I said once, because even if I'm not a true rider for avoiding rain, there is nothing more that I hate then being cold and wet.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
If you go faster then 90mph in a full tuck you'll stay really dry.
Did I read that right?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, been caught in rain many times. If on interstate & downpours hit really badly, I find an overpass & just sit there for awhile til the rain calms down.

My CBR has never had any problems from rain. Like already said, keep up your chain maintenance. Be nice to your ride & give it wipe-down when you get home.

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-28-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the worse isn't getting caught in the rain, but knowing it's coming with the really light drizzle, and seeing the cars passing you going by soaked with wipers on. Once you're in the rain, you're already wet, and I slow everything down.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM

Do you have to worry about the rain getting into the airbox through the ram air ducts. Or is it not really a sealed system?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
BTR

Originally Posted by Bonafide
And to think I passed my MSF course in a thunderstorm; "taking the curve" and "emergency braking" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be--still scared me a little.

Even though the whole ride was an experience, to me, the worst part was the fogged-up visor--"Damn, if I could only see." As said above, when I cracked the visor just to de-fog the visor, it felt like I was ride through a swarm of bees.

I've seen/heard the gimicks, but do fogless visors really work--especially in weather like that? Now, that will be a good investment for me.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised on how well the F4i handled in the rain; I frequently went through 4in puddles and the handling was superb. One thing that I did was NOT use the front brake at all; figuring hydroplaning starts at the front wheel.

(btw, I did lube the chain this morning before going to work.)

lol same here. i passed my MSF in a huge thunderstorm!

Quick Reply: C(Sh)ould a F4i be riding in torrential rains?