F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

C(Sh)ould a F4i be riding in torrential rains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C(Sh)ould a F4i be riding in torrential rains?

OMG! My life balancing before my eyes; my nutz shrunk to the size of coos-coos, but now feel like bowling *****, after my adventure home from shopping.

A nice riding day; out earlier its warm and sunny, so when wifey said come with her to get a laptop I'm said sure--I riding though. So she followed. Nice 60-89mph 25min ride up to the store. We shopped. Then, as we leave the store, I notice the clouds, "hhm looks like rain." Wife says what's a little rain. I tell her it ain't the rain--it's the start of rain we're concerned about. Since she's following, I tell her that we should hurry...

Well, soon as my *** hit the interstate, a blinding downpour started and never let up. That was the scariest **** I've ever experienced. From fighting the fog in my visor; road puddles; and the death-grip I had regulating throttle (25-40mph), it was exhausting. Road puddles looked like burial plots--it was so bad, at one point, I had to raise my feet off the pegs, looking like I was dragracing. Very thrilling. It took me 2 hrs to calm down--and dry off.

Have you ever got caught out in heavy rain? And, is there an after-ride checklist that I should cover?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many a time lol. Dry off, wash the bike, make sure the chain is lubed n not starting to rust. Other than that, you just have to learn to not tense up, it will make you inputs jerky and as you fouund out make you sore lol.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 AM

i had the same experience on tuesday, it was quite scary i was riding sideways in 6 inches deep water all the way home in 30mph winds.

I made it, quite soaked. Hosed off the bike and dried her up. Some of my nice polished bolts started to rust though

still wiping the grease n sand out of places on the bike it shouldn't be from the water that splashed up.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

It started raining on my way to payson from phoenix one time. If you go faster then 90mph in a full tuck you'll stay really dry... At the first intersection coming back into phoenix I was at the 40mph and couldn't see a thing point when all a sudden I swear my bike turned into a submarine and we dived! That intersection was a flowing flooded mess across the entire thing. It soaked every square inch of me and my bike but we stayed up and soldierd on to the nearest cover [a gas station].

Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 AM

Dude, take a chill pill---if you're a "rider", you will occasionally get caught up in the rain. Dry your bike off and lube up the chain after it dries.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 AM

If you ever tour--and everyone should--you'll ride in the rain. Lots of it. Hondas eat rain for breakfast, as you'll discover if you ever take things apart to see how the things are built.

Of all the bikes I've owned, the F4i is about best in the wet. With good tires--and that's a must--it does well, but you do have to watch for hydroplaning at high speeds. A half-inch deep puddle can ruin your day.

I always laugh when I see ads selling bikes..."never ridden in the rain." Gimme a break.

Consider buying and carrying a rain suit. That will make you much less of rain wuss.

--Paul

Old 06-27-2009, 05:56 AM

I love riding in the rain, its an adventure lol. And rain stings like a bitch above 35 mph. Did test the brakes one day thinking, ( eh im sure its not as bad as i think it will prolly just brake slightly less good)...wrong, front locked up very quick and it almost tossed me, i just ride it like im on ice now.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by VTcbr
Dude, take a chill pill---if you're a "rider", you will occasionally get caught up in the rain. Dry your bike off and lube up the chain after it dries.
It's not that serious...

...but I did take that "chill pill" once I arrived home safe. (I took two.) LOL

Old 06-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by squid600
I love riding in the rain, its an adventure lol. And rain stings like a bitch above 35 mph...
Stings is putting that lightly...

My wife was laughing at me because I kept asking, "was that hail"? Alcohol stings--I felt like I was being stoned. But after it was over, it really felt invigorating.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Heh, my very first ride EVER on my ninja I got caught in a torrential t-storm. It was definitely an experience. Since then I've learned to just slow down, take it easy, and I pull over if it gets really bad.

Quick Reply: C(Sh)ould a F4i be riding in torrential rains?