F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

break-in question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in question

the manual for my 06' says to change the oil at 600 miles or one month. i've had my bike for a month and because of work overtime only have 250 miles on it. i'd like to change the oil at 500 miles, which we be in about another month. would i be harming the bike any because i left the break-in oil in it for two months? thanks a ton[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Default RE: break-in question

I'm not sure "break in oil" is even used anymore. I thought that went out in the 80's. There are some great articles out there about oil changing and how Americans change it more than any other country in the world. Sorry I don't have them posted...But anyway, there is no way the bike will be harmed by leaving the oil in for 2 months. They are just assuming 1 month equals 500 miles for a new bike. I changed mine on my F4i when it was new at 500 miles and then once a year afterward which is around 2500 miles for me. So far I've had no issues and going into my 5th year on this bike.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 PM

i'm just talkin about the oil that came from the factory (gn4 i would guess). the manual says 600 miles or one month. i want to change mine at 500 miles. i'm at 250 now and i've had the bike for a month. so i figure with my current work schedule it will be another month before i reach 500 miles. this ok? thanks

Old 06-21-2006, 03:43 PM

You should be fine.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:10 PM

I agree christhek, your good with the current oil. Most people change their oil on their new bikes like after 2000 miles. I had my oil in my bike for 8 months and everything is just fine. I use that lucas oil crap and seems to eliminate any future issues. LIke being cheap on oil changes.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 PM

Don't worry about it.

Just think about how long the "break in oil" (if there is such a thing) has been sitting in there while in the showroom (especially for 2005's, for example).

Z.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:23 PM

i was just thinkin the break-in oil gets manky well before 600 miles from combustion blow-by. mine is already lookin dirty at 250 miles and i haven't beat on the bike. just varied rpm a lot (below 5000 rpm so far) and used engine braking whenever possible to slow the bike down.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:57 AM

Break-in oil is thinner than regular oil as it is specially sent from the factory. This is because during the brake-in period (about 1000kms or 620miles) the metals have to wear, polish and fit smoothly (i mean in micras) so the engine sets up tight.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE PUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN A NEW BIKE!!!!!!!!!!! specially if it contains Molibdenum. This component will prevent the normal and correct wear of metal parts and will damage the clutch disks (or is it discs??). The engine needs friction between its components at the beggining until aprox 2000miles.
Over 9000 miles you may start thinking about using a Synthetic oil but IT MUST MEET THE JASO T903 standard (MA) (read the label in the oil can)

I recomend semi-synthetic w/o any anti-friction aditive (MOTUL, MOTOREX, Liqui-Moly) read the owner manual for specs.
SYNTHETIC oil or with anti-friction aditives can be used in old bikes with over 30000miles.

Regards

Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 AM

AH! forgot about break-in......

Look for some mountain roads for a weekend ride... thatĀ“s the best scenery for a good brake-in. No constant speeds and RPMs... up & down, low and high Max 5000-5500 RPMs... play a lot with gearing and engine but donĀ“t abuse too much of engine braking as the cam chain is the part that suffers the most stretching when violent and sudden engine brake is applied... and if we already have problems with the CCT, why mess up the chain so soon, right?

Regards again

Old 07-26-2006, 06:55 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh (sigh of relief) I've been looking through these forums since about 11am this morning not it's almost 4pm (yay for being slow at work) and finally found something saying to NOT put synthetic oil in. So what kind of oil should I use for my 2nd oil change? I have no idea what the dealer put in at my 600 mile maintenance, if they even did an oil change they said they did but I really don't believe them. So anyway, I should wait til about 2000 or 9000 miles before using synthetic? I'm so confused. What oil did you guys put in your new bikes when you got them?

Mike

Quick Reply: break-in question