F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike problems already:(

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike problems already:(

well i just bought my 06 f4i about 3-4 weeks ago and am now experiencing shifting issues. i have around 4k miles on it... i put around 500 of them on the bike. anyways anytime i drop down to first there is a loud pop and then as i shift out it feel like the gears are sticking. the clutch engages when i have the lever almost all the way let out. anyone know what could be my issue? i really hope its something simple

Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the engine oil. drop down to first mean down shifting while riding or shifting from neutral to first? could be idle is a little high or clutch issues. What do you mean the gears are sticking?

Old 03-15-2010, 04:44 PM

anytime i drop to first whether it be moving or from neutral it pops. what i mean when i say "gears are sticking" that when i go to upshift the gears don't engage until a couple seconds after i have clicked it up. guy said he had all fluids changed about 1000 miles ago but im headed to store now to pick up some oil... hopefully it solves my issue

Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM

these bikes are notorious for clunky shifting. You just have to really shift like you mean it. there is an upgrade you can do to fix it but i think that it is a little of 100 dollars.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM

I'm not sure ars1986...you really shouldn't shift, then a second or two later the bike changes gears...that's kinda freaky actually. But these bikes definitely shift clunky...that "pop" or whatever you wanna call it...that's ALL F4i's. Even mine CLUNK from N to 1st, that's simply how it is. However, my bike shifts buttery smooth, so not sure what you mean by your gears sticking?? If you're gonna do the oil....put some quality oil in there and don't pinch pennies cuz right now you're problem solving. Mobil1 4T maybe the best way to go to get a solid comparison.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The pop into first is common, and is usually especially bad when you're stopped and going from neutral to first. The reason is the motor is always engaging some type of motion to the clutch. It's the reason why your tire spins when on a stand, even in neutral. Things just aren't aligned up perfectly, so it's gonna clunk into place. 100% normal.

When shifting through gears, if you think things are sticking, do the usual stuff - change the oil, check how hard things move with your hands, maybe spray some WD-40 here and there. The shifting on the F4i is definitely clunky (though not terrible - most sport bikes aren't much better in my experience).

It definitely couldn't hurt to get a second opinion elsewhere, also. Grab a friend that rides and trade bikes for a bit, and compare.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Have your ridden bikes before? do you rev-match when down shifting?

If the clutch is engaging early (or late) you can adjust it. there are two places to adjust... at the lever and at the clutch basket. If the clutch is adjusted badly and therefore not disengaging the transmission properly/fully it could lead to very clunky shifts. if you have it in first with engine running and the clutch pulled in, does the bike still try to move forward slowly?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM

problem i think is solved......... played around with the clutch and adjusted it a lot... everything seem to be smooth even when dropping into first from neutral. and before no the bike did not even try to crawl forward but now that i adjusted the clutch the tires spin very slighly in first when im off the bike moving it, when on the bike i didn't notice it at all.... (sorry for my grammar.... multi tasking between wife yelling and talking on phone. so im very side tracked lol)

Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bently600
Have your ridden bikes before? do you rev-match when down shifting?
Rev-matching during street riding? That's alittle unnecessary wouldn't ya say?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by teko1020
Rev-matching during street riding? That's alittle unnecessary wouldn't ya say?
Nope, do it all the time. Makes downshifting smoother (and you get to listen to your exhaust more, lol).

Quick Reply: Bike problems already:(