F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike power surging when somewhat low on gas...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike power surging when somewhat low on gas...HELP!

OK, since I've owned my bike for 9 months and 8k miles my bike has down this on/off when the fuel is getting low, or somewhat low? Bike is '04 F4i. And when I say low I may have only ridden 90 miles since last fill-up and when you go to get on it the power surges real bad. So the gas isn't that low at that point? You can only pamper accelerate it without it hestitating. If my reserve light ever comes on there is no way you can go WOT. The bike won't do it. The other day I had ridden 90 miles and I went to pass someone and went WOT in 2nd and the bike wouldn't accelerate at all. I had to quick upshift every gear in order for it to go. After I got by I slowed down in 2nd gear and then tried to go WOT and it didn't go anywhere. It wouldn't even accelerate.

I filled the tank back up and bam, back to normal. It seems like everytime I go over 75 miles ridden there is a chance of this happening. What could be causing this? I've already recently replaced my fuel pressure regulator and it was fine. I'm wondering if the lines of the fuel tank aren't reaching down to the bottom of the tank or something? I would think if the fuel reserve comes on your could still ride normal but if I go to the bars start going down my bike is sputtering and barely getting around. To me it's almost like it's fuel starved.

Any ideas? It's starting to **** me off.