F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

bike overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bike overheating!!!

hopefully it'll just be the fan switch. that seems like an easy fix. its raining outside now so i can't even work on the bike [&o]... what can i do if there is a short in the wiring? im decent with electrical stuff. should i just take it to a shop?

Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM

If there is a short, it could be some part of the wire is exposed. Trace the wiring back to the source and if there is a short you can replace the wire. Probably just your switch.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

i think your fan switch is just fine. it's the junk that plugs into your switch that is faulty methinks.

the fan switch is very simple device. it is set to ground once it reaches a certian temperature (about 205F on our bikes, or 225 indicated on the dash).

It sounds like your bike is grounding just fine, however, once it grounds, it's shorting out your bike.

it could be as something as simply as your 10amp fuse under your seat, but then again, i'm not sure.

if it were me, i would start by checking that fuse, and then trying to start the bike by manually grounding the fan relay. my gut instinct is that you have some sort of fault in your fan motor assembly or something.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM

i grounded the wire and the fan kicked on right away. the fuse under the seat is fine. is there anything else i could do to make sure that its the fan switch? and do i have to drain the coolant to change the fan switch?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 AM

so im hoping that its just the fan switch, it should be since it turns on when i ground the fan wire. i changed the coolant today with Engine Ice. after, i hardwired the fan with switch so i can turn it on and off when ever i want. thats just a temporary solution until the new fan switch comes in. i'll update all of you when the new switch gets installed. crossing my fingers that its just the switch!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:29 AM

i may be wrong but if your fan works when you ground the switch out then it is working properly. It still sound like the short is in the wiring which is stopping the fan motor from grounding and starting when it should.

check the wiring back from the sender and look for area that it may have rubbed through and is shorting on the frame or block.

As i say i might be wrong but i thought the ecu needs the ground input from the sender unit to start the fan motor.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:07 PM

does the bike run just fine when manually grounded?

also, be sure to flush the radiator plenty of times with water prior to adding engine ice. i've heard that mixing ethylene glycol with engine ice will cause your coolant to turn to a gel slush...

Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Big Gaz,
i grounded the fan motor to the frame and bypassed the switch. so i know it's the switch that's at fault.

FLYOU,
yeah it runs fine with the fan hardwired, and i can turn the fan on when it gets too hot at a light. and i got two gallons of distilled water and flushed it out with all of it before i put in the engine ice. thanks again for all the help .

Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Default So what if this is not the case? (like when I do that)

Originally Posted by Rennen
i grounded the wire and the fan kicked on right away. the fuse under the seat is fine. is there anything else i could do to make sure that its the fan switch? and do i have to drain the coolant to change the fan switch?
I just tried this on my bike, which runs fine except the bike seems to run hotter than normal, and the fan does not spin ever.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM

the temp that displays on your gauge cluster is at the back side of the head
the fan switch is on the radiator

engine is drops temperature much more rapidly than stock coolant, so the temp difference is much greater than with stock coolant

this is what's causing your fan not to turn on, not bc your motor is running hotter
but bc your fan switch is fooled into thinking it's running cooler, below it's functionality

Last edited by bwayers; 06-22-2009 at 10:29 PM.