CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike overheating

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike overheating

Hi there,

I have a CBR 600 94 plate and having a problem with the bike overheating.

I looked through the threads to try and identify the problem

The fan does not come on at all and it does not spin more than about an 8th of a spin when I try to turn it by hand.

Can you tell me if the fan should spin freely when I try to turn it or does it only turn when there is power to it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM

The fan should spin very freely by hand. Your fan is shot. Take it off and hook it up direct to 12 volts and make sure before you go any farther. That cooling fan is very important.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Wranghondo
The fan should spin very freely by hand. Your fan is shot. Take it off and hook it up direct to 12 volts and make sure before you go any farther. That cooling fan is very important.
Cheers.

Is there an easy way to remove the fan or do I have to remove the tank, air filter and radiator to get to it.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilted One
Cheers.

Is there an easy way to remove the fan or do I have to remove the tank, air filter and radiator to get to it.
None of those items need to be removed, just fairings - if I remember correctly, you only have to remove the main side bits (which requires removing the tail sections), and the inner front cowl, that sits behind the front wheel...then, you can easily remove the radiator, and disconnect the fan.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
None of those items need to be removed, just fairings - if I remember correctly, you only have to remove the main side bits (which requires removing the tail sections), and the inner front cowl, that sits behind the front wheel...then, you can easily remove the radiator, and disconnect the fan.
Nice one. I thought I was going to spend a whole day trying to remove it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered Users

One more thing, does the fan have a fuse and if it does can you tell me where to locate it please.

Cheers

Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kilted One
One more thing, does the fan have a fuse and if it does can you tell me where to locate it please.

Cheers
There has to be a fuse. It should be (iirc) located just inside the upper right cowling mounted in a small plastic box that is held by a piece of the upper fairing stay.

Dig in, these bikes are incredibly easy to work on! I don't find anything about working on my bike either difficult or hateful.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Wranghondo
There has to be a fuse. It should be (iirc) located just inside the upper right cowling mounted in a small plastic box that is held by a piece of the upper fairing stay.

Dig in, these bikes are incredibly easy to work on! I don't find anything about working on my bike either difficult or hateful.
Always thought that was a main fuse rather than a fuse box

Checked the fuse and it had blown. Had another look at the fan and on closer inspection I noticed that the fan shroud is bent around the bottom and the fan is catching it at this point. I can't get enough force on it to bend it back so I still have to take the radiator off.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Fan motor is Fuse "D" in the fusebox according to the manual. It appears to be the only thing on that circuit. I can't tell on the PDF - but shoud be a 15 (maybe 18a) fuse.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya its the only 15, but if your bike is overheating, it could also be coolant related. The fan only really helps when your stopped at alight or doing all city driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike overheating