F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Best Way to clean gunk off chain...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to clean gunk off chain...

Time to clean my chain and ive sat there w/ WD40 and a tooth brush scrubbing away... is there an easier way or better substance at removing this stuff?

Please lemme know...

Old 08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Best Way to clean gunk off chain...

Brake/Contact cleaner works awesome!! *******DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ON THE CHAIN!!!********* it is very aggresive and can damamge the o-rings, spray it on the rag and then wipe

Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Now if you use the brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the chain wont the clean still get all over the chain and damage the o rings? Also how ofter should the chain be cleaned and lubed?

Old 08-19-2005, 12:23 AM

i think the best way to clean it is with soap and water (thats what most manuals tell you) and try to do it pretty often, like every second tank of gas, also dont forget to lube it when your done.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM

I have used two products that seem to work great they are Greazed Lighting and Simple Green. They are not suposed to damage the o-rings in the chain. Greazed Lighting works the best for all areas brake rotors, motor, and road tar.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Kerosene is the old fashioned tried and true solvent. It is oil based, so it actually lubricates the o-rings without degrading them. Shops use it all the time.

Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 PM

I use "chain life" lube every 500 or i get around too it. and then just ride it. dont let it sit in your garage

Old 08-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Another way is you can detach the chain and soak it in gas and use a wire brush to scrub it. when you put it on make sure you LUBE IT WELL though.

Old 08-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO GAS!!! Kerosene or diesel, sure. WD-40, maybe. But gas, never. This is another topic (like which is the best oil) that is never ending. It's like asking what's the best way to wipe yer a$$ -- there are many ways (none include gas I hope) that work well but I can't say as any particular way is best. The most important factor is that you keep the chain clean with the proper slack.

Old 08-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Fox
Banned

I try to go for a little run to warm the chain and then degrease it w/ WD-40, prob. not too dissimilar from what you're doing now. By warming the chain, you might be able to get more cleaning solution into the chain. I spray it on and use a combination of shop rags and old toothbrushes to remove the grime. I'll do several passes to get all that junk off the chain. A little bit of the debris gets on the swing arm and sprockets so I'll also be sure to soak them w/ WD-40 also. Rinse thoroughly and then lube w/ Honda Pro Chain Lube (blue/black/white can). I'll also lube the chain twice over, so I do get some spin off, mostly on the lower fairing under the front sprocket/side-stand.

Quick Reply: Best Way to clean gunk off chain...