F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Best headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yog182
If you get the plug and play kits that actually have a ballast to them they are 10 x brighter then stock. They aren't just "blue headlights" You can get different color spectrum's. I do not have the the projectors in my head lights and they work great..
OH NOES, YOU CAN GET PURPLE TOO! Big deal. The point of HID isn't just brightness and it certainly isn't about the colour -- they're supposed to have a very wide pattern with a very sharp cutoff on the low beam so they don't blind oncoming drivers. Just popping the bulbs in doesn't do that, you don't get anything you wouldn't get from putting tinted plastic over bright driving lights.

Real HID light systems are about performance. The ones that come in assorted colour temperatures are cheap crap.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Eye
Real HID light systems are about performance. The ones that come in assorted colour temperatures are cheap crap.
So your telling me the color temp has nothing to do with HID's? Pretty sure you waste your time and get your so called performance HID kit and i will bring mine along and the results will speak for themselves..

Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Eye
Just popping the bulbs in doesn't do that, you don't get anything you wouldn't get from putting tinted plastic over bright driving lights.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  18.4 KB

Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Yup pretty sure that's the way mine looks just with a blue tint because i did a different temperature!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 PM

I've been considering a set myself. It looks like you can get a 12v 35w set for an F4i for about $60-$90 from a number of sites including ebay. From what I can tell you can get any color temperature bulbs you want and the main difference between them is the size of the ballasts. For about $80 you can get an H.I.D. kit with fairly slim ballasts and a 1-2 year warranty. I checked YouTube and there are a bunch of videos of people installing these kits and using them. They look pretty good to me and are much brighter than OEM bulbs. Not to mention the cool factor of getting to pick a different color(although visibility goes down as the color temp goes up towards the blue and purple range).

Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM

or you could get some silverstars, thats what I got and the difference over OEM is soo much better visibility wise.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of hyperwhite h7 bulbs off ebay and they are a huge upgrade from stock. not HID. but for 7$ you cant beat it. I'm suprised on how good the F4i lighting is, (with the new bulbs).

Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Wow, $7 bones.
Good find Sick.
I need to replace mine as well, can't beat $7, I'll go check em' out.
I really dislike that bluish gawdy look, i'm lookin for plain white light, are the hyperwhites reg white light?

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 10-05-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM

I have a 2000 model honda integra type R. I'm from Australia. I ordered my HID lights from Xenon Depot in Canada. They are 4300K which are the brightest in white on the spectrum and give the best visibility. They cost me about AU$450. And are all phillips quality components. You still get a touch of blue/purple tint but not to much. When I get my CBR i'll definitely but upgrading to some HID's.. FTW!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 AM

I have considered putting in an HID kit but somehow, something didn’t convince me that cross-meddling with technologies is good. Therefore I did a lil bit of research and found this http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html . Have a read on why retrofitting HIDs isn’t a very bright (excuse the pun) idea. For those who are ready to dismiss this immediately; the article also explains that HID can give the illusion that they are better performing but actually might perform worse when compared to other lighting.

Quick Reply: Best headlight upgrade