F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Being able to mount and use iphone while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being able to mount and use iphone while driving

Hello all and good day/evening to you. Before I get to many flames or much "needed" words of wisdom about how dangerous it is to talk on the phone while riding, please hear me out first. Hehe :P I usually just put my iPhone in my jacket pocket and listen to music on the way to/from home with some skull candy ear phones...but....

I am curious as to if anyone has any ideas on how I could mount my 3gs to the f4i as well as some way of being able to talk on a call while I am riding. My reason for this is because I have seen sooooooo many people drive like complete stupid idiots that I am done simply ignoring them and or hoping someone else will call CHP on them etc. I've seen first hand people get on an exit ramp driving the wrong way down the freeway, people driving at night with no lights, people causing near misses every time they lane change because they are drunk or driving like an idiot and all sorts of other things.

My plan is that I would pull over to the side of the road just long enough to call 911 if need be and report someone who may be endangering others in a serious way while following at a safe distance if possible while on the call with dispatch. I have reported some VERY serious cases but sometimes I can't remember the plate numbers etc. I live right on highway 1 on the coast of California and also live around multiple colleges. I see "stupid" people on a very regular basis. Pretty much every time I ride to work etc.

The only time I would EVER be on the phone would be to report a serious case if need be. Besides how to mount the iPhone, the most important thing would be what I can use to actually hear and be heard OK inside the helmet. I have an AVG. And I can't really drop allot of money either if possible. Thanks in advance for any and all of your responses guys/girls.

P.s. And btw yes I have tried to search for this but couldn't find anything useful here. It might very well have been me missing it. Thanks.

Last edited by HotWheels; 05-26-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM

not gonna lie, when i read the thread title my first thought was 'how dumb is this guy?'
but after reading it make sense.
as for mounting, you could probably modify a car mount and bolt it to the upper triple tree, could suction it to your tank...but i wouldnt really trust that on a longer ride.
as for the communication part, you can get headphones with a mic built into the cord, and just mount that inside your helmet, dont know how much wind noise you get in your helmet, but that might be an issue.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Someone makes a camera mount that mounts on top of the gas cap. I can't remember the name of the company, but you could fab up something similar and it not be in the way.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Or look at the Scala bluetooth headsets or other Bluetooth helmet mounted headset that link to your phone. Don't know about how to mount it so you could dial while riding but there should be a talk feature were you can say "call... someone" and it will dial the number.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 PM

Get a universal GPS mount, you will be able to mount an iphone on it.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a ball mount kit for your phone.
Use a bolt that's head will just slip into your steering head mount.
Sleeve it with a piece of rubber hose, add a fender washer and nut.
Slid the bolt (head-first) into the steering stem.
Tighten the nut, expanding the piece of hose, till the bolt is snugged up in the head.
Epoxy a bead to the projecting end of the bolt.
It should be the same size as the ball-socket on the purchased mount,
I just cut the bead off the dash-mount kit, drilled and mounted it.

Then, get a BT headset for your helmet, pair-up and you're good to go.
Tunes/phone/intercom all rolled into one. If you do long rides,
google USB power outlets for some ideas on external power supply.

The mount should end up looking similar to this...

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 05-27-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM

I have been so busy with work and other stuff I totally forgot to reply to this thread and thank you all for the responses again. =) May seem like it's not necessary, but I just wanted to. So thanks again. =)

Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 PM

I rode with a guy once that has some sort of "X Claw" mount on his handlebar and has his phone in one and a radar detector in the other. I'm not sure what it's called but he swears by it, and it doesn't go anywhere when he is riding. Pretty amazing.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Default RAM X-Grip

@Kevin, I think this is probably what the guy was talking about.

I have been using this since last year and like Kevin's friend stated, my phone doesn't go anywhere, the design is so simple you wonder why every phone mount for any vehicle isn't just this. And it's nice because when the phone isn't in it, it doesn't look all bulky and in the way. Another nice feature is when the phone is in there it allows you to just turn the phone 90 degrees for horizontal viewing if you prefer your navigation that way.

Ern described pretty much exactly what I did as well to mount in the center. Holds perfectly.

Pictures below with and without phone.

Name:  Adj_IMG_3720_zps170d480d.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  Adj_IMG_3721_zps7efc9df4.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  Adj_IMG_3722_zpsd001d291.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  Adj_IMG_3723_zps6c5d07b8.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  102.1 KB

Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Default Home made Mount

This is my mount for my phone made from 2 pieces of pvc and a bicycle handlebar mount. The bicycle mount had little arms but they started getting loose so I broke them off and replaced with Velcro.
Riding View
Attachment 22113
Close up view
Attachment 22114
These are the parts needed to make the mount. Wooden dowel 90&45 degree elbows and solar rez
Attachment 22115

Last edited by Brian Patterson; 06-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Being able to mount and use iphone while driving