F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Banjo bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banjo bolt

I am going to do bleed my brakes soon. A friend is going to help as it is the first time I have done it. He recommends I get a banjo bolt and mount it to the reservoir where the 1 brake line goes into. Can any one point me in the right direction of where to buy the banjo bolt that fits in the front reservoir?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Default RE: Banjo bolt

There is already a banjo bolt going into the MC. Do you mean a bleeder valve for the MC?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Uuhhhh, I'll tell you how I bleed the brakes on my F4i. I've got a handheld vacuum pump from Sears, it was $60 but its quality and can do many things. There are cheaper alternatives available at most retail autoparts stores.

Anyway, place a hose (clear hose is best) over your bleeder screw and carefully loosen the bleeder screw (barely needs to be turned).

With a handheld vacuum you can now begin pumping and drawing fluid out of the brakes through the bleeder screw up into the hose and into the vacuum reservior. BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOOSEN THE BLEEDER SCREW TOO MUCH OR AIR WILL GET IN AROUND THE THREADS AND IT WILL APPEAR THAT YOUR BRAKES ARE FULL OF AIR! I wrapped teflon tape around the upper threads of the screw to prevent this and it all works perfectly.

If you have one of the cheap handheld hose and reservior kits from Autozone you have to keep the hose over the bleeder screw while pumping the brakes with your other hand. Too much going on for this to work properly in my opinion as the hose always falls off or your hand backs off the brake pedal and you end up drawing air into the brakeline.

Wrench for bleeder screw is an 8mm BTW.

That's what I do. It's easy and I like to do maintenance alone. If a friend is helping you can bleed the brakes much the same as on a car. One guy works the pedal and the other guy has 2 hands to turn the screw and keep brake fluid from going all over your tire, wheel, disc, etc. Bikes maintenance is not a good time to be sloppy as opposed to working on a car/truck. Screw up something and it could spell disaster on a bike and/or cause your sh*t to look bad.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 PM

speed bleeders. I've done it both ways and using speed bleeders takes a somewhat tedious job and makes it a no brainer.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM

Even the old fashioned way takes only minutes. I've never used a speed bleeder in my life.