F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bad steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad steering

I just bought a 2001 f4i 6000 miles original tires very clean. But the thing steers like crap. The guy I bought it from had it for 4 years. I went to test drive it and the front tire was practicly flat (had 15lbs pressure). He laughs and saidhe hasn't put air in it since he bought it. We air it up to 34lbs and the steering was much better but still not quite right. Soover time hemust havegotten use to the bad steering.Do you think it's steers bad because of how the tire has worn? Or can this wear the front end some how? Everything feels tight. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Default RE: Bad steering

Change the tires. For it to be 8 years old and only have 6000 miles and the original tires isnt good. For the tire to have sit for so long under-inflated can cause a flat spot in the tire which will affect the steering and handleing of the bike.

I would reccomend changing both tires, get matching set, and see how it handles.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Ok, I have some Piolit Powers waiting to go on it. But waiting till spring. Does a lowering link effect steering?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lowering the bike will definitely affect handling/steering. If it's done properly the effects are minimal. That front tire is probably toast and causing a lot of what you're feeling.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Cool, thanks guys.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

also has the bike ever been laid over? if the bike has it's very possible the front wheel hit a curb and bent the front forks causing all kinds of problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 PM

Steering stem bearings are probably worn out or to be more accurate 'worn in' way too much. With only 6,000 miles this may not be the case but due to the number of years its possible.

If the guy had truthfully never put air in his front tire what kind of numbskull moron is he? You should check the air in your tires before every trip. The bike probably has the original oil in it.

When sitting on the bike stand it straight up into a riding position. Grab the handle bars and shake them back and forth. Does it feel like there is any slop or looseness in the front end? Any slop at all coupled with knocking or dull metal clanking sounds mean the steering stem bearings in the neck need to be replaced. The factory ball style bearings are an inferior design and wear a lot faster than the aftermarket style tapered roller bearings.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM

A worn front tire will most deffinatly effect how the steering feels. When I bought mine the front tire was badly worn and it felt like it was pulling all diff. directions, get yourself a new tire andI would be willing to bet it will be justfine.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM

just saying bad steering could be related to anything on the front end
you need to be more specific

it could be the tires, or the steering stem bearings as mentioned by strike, or could be a leaking fork seal
or the bike could have frame damage

Old 12-30-2008, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bwayers

just saying bad steering could be related to anything on the front end
you need to be more specific

it could be the tires, or the steering stem bearings as mentioned by strike, or could be a leaking fork seal
or the bike could have frame damage
Yep, probably a good time to take the front cowl off. Not that hard evenif you havent done it before. It will make it easier to find/hear/see where potential problems might be coming from. Although there is a good chance a new properly inflated tire will cure your troubles.

Quick Reply: Bad steering