F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

arghhhh....dam* oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arghhhh....dam* oil filter

Hey guys. This has been a bad day for me. I was hoping to get out of the house and do some riding once I got my oil changed, but noooooooooooooooooooo. oh hell no.

Tried for about an hour to get my oil filter off. Every time I put the oil filter wrench on the filter, it wouldnt get snugg and it would just keep rotating around. Damn.

So, I tried to poke a hole in the oil filter, like some of these threads said, and all it did was pour oil everywhere and no turning once again.

Next, tried to use some channel locks on the filter, tried and tried, but damn is that a tough filter. Would not even budge. So, I am very pissed right now and I am up for any suggestions that anyone might have because as of right now, my bike is on the stand, still draining oil out of that small hole that I made in the filter, and I cant ride it of course. [:@][:@][:@]

Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Default RE: arghhhh....dam* oil filter

There are a few threads like this, your best bet is going to be going to sears or the parts store and getting the tool that I listed....and PLEASE make sure when you install your filter youonly install it hand tight...then you will avoid all these problems....

Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM

The first time i took the factory filter off i had to use a big *** pair of channel locks. about a foot long. YOu just have to get the right grip and angle and you should be able to get it off.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM

part that you listed? and which one is that?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should come up in a post that you may have already searched. niffty little tool i need to go pick up incase it happens to me......again. i've had tihs prob. twice b/c i just always say eh, i'll turn it OOOOOOOONE more time, just to be safe, lol.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM

This usually can go unsaid, but make sure you are turning it the right way (Anti-clockwise). It is easy to get confused when working on the underside of the bike.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM

yeah i know counter clockwise. has anyone thought about getting one of these because I am.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=oil+wrench

Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 PM

I don't really care, but to be honest, you could have saved yourself ALOT of time and gotten the answer MUCH faster if you searched.....I did I went to the search typed in "oil filter" and selected the F4i forum and got this as the third hit down....

https://cbrforum.com/m_516348/tm.htm

Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM

the great thing about the filter wrench I suggest, you cannot use it in the clockwise direction because of the way it works....the harder you turn it counter clockwise the harder it will grip the oil filter....does two things for you, one allowes you get off those super stuck oil filters and does not allow people to tighten the new filter back on with the tool....which is a BIG no no.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 PM

They sell one at AutoZone that has a spring and it will only grip when turning counterclockwise. I use it on Honda cars and motorcycles, well anything with a small filter. The spring keeps it secure on the filter. Works perfect unless you have a VFR in which case you need to take off a fairing and use channel locks.

Quick Reply: arghhhh....dam* oil filter