F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

anybody use a TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody use a TPMS?

Do you think they make riding safer? Are they worth the money? I like this one.
Haven't bought it but it's been on my mind a while.

Robot Check Robot Check

Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What is a TPMS?
If you mean Tire Pressure Monitoring System.. I'd say it's a waste of money.

I observe the tire pressure of my bike before I get on the bike before each ride.

During the ride, if I lose air pressure in the tire, more than likely I'd know from running over things a few miles back or change in handling.

For those who rely on displays to determine stability of function.. TPMS might be a valuable tool... for those who pay attention to the ride constantly.. not so much.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by "A"
What is a TPMS?
If you mean Tire Pressure Monitoring System.. I'd say it's a waste of money.

I observe the tire pressure of my bike before I get on the bike before each ride.

During the ride, if I lose air pressure in the tire, more than likely I'd know from running over things a few miles back or change in handling.

For those who rely on displays to determine stability of function.. TPMS might be a valuable tool... for those who pay attention to the ride constantly.. not so much.
Not a fair assessment. I do not check my tire pressure before every ride. I check with a gauge at every fillup. And I can (and have) feel my tires being +-3 psi. That doesn't negate any tool that helps a rider ride safe.

Personally I'd recommend the OP investigate something with a little a few extra purposes? Scorpio | Motorcycle Alarms

The alarm now has a TPMS module optional. Can't really object to a TPMS that also protects you bike eh?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM
"A"

Riding safe and safe tire pressure to operate are two different things.

TPMS does not mean a rider would ride safe nor guarantee safe tire riding pressure.

Like you, I can feel the +/-3 psi in tire pressure on my bike, but that doesn't mean I would ride safe or less conservatively when I feel the difference.
I just compensate by riding differently that can still allow me to get to my destination.

But for those who forgo checking the tire pressure before riding, those who cannot tell the difference of +/-3 psi in ride quality; TPMS can be a neat indicating tool to judge their safe riding parameters.

I only answered OP questions whether they make safer riding and whether they are worth the money.. fair assessment or not, those are my answers.. you can have different answers, but do not mistake them as unfair.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

TPM systems are the bane of my life as I run a used car dealership. They are complete and utter crap. Sometime you have to set the tire 10psi above what it says on the doorjamb to get the light out....yay thats totally making the ride safer! What a joke of an idea.
On a bike, I can feel the tires being off by 5psi, why exactly do you need a light on the dash to tell you they are low?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM

They seems like a good idea but for how much they cost and with that probably need to rebalance the wheels, I don't think it worth the money.
I normally check the tyre pressure before every time I go for a proper ride, and ones every few hundred miles for normal ride.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
TPM systems are the bane of my life as I run a used car dealership. They are complete and utter crap. Sometime you have to set the tire 10psi above what it says on the doorjamb to get the light out....yay thats totally making the ride safer! What a joke of an idea.
On a bike, I can feel the tires being off by 5psi, why exactly do you need a light on the dash to tell you they are low?
Because *I* can't feel the tires being off by 5 PSI... This one also flashes if your tire temperature gets weird to warn you of a potential blowout. Not sure if that actually works or not.

This one just shows the pressure so I don't know why you would have issues like what you're talking about with cars.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 PM
"A"

TPMS Advantages and Disadvantages

Personally, I'd save my money and just check my own tire pressure.