F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

any advice on buying a f4i?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being comfortable on bikes in general always helps. I hopped on my f4i without ever riding before. I used to do a lot of mountain biking and stuff which is about as far from a street bike as you can get on 2 wheels but i was still comfortable being on 2 wheels so even that helped me a little confidence wise. There was no learning curve with the clutch and throttle and stuff (in terms of being able to operate them) since i was used to that from atv's and driving a manual. Its all the same concept so i got on it and rode off and just took it nice and slow until i was comfortable being on something that can do what these bikes can. Just respect the bike and their power and take it slow at first and youll be fine.

As far as getting a bike just be patient and look around until you find the right one. A better deal will always come along so just wait and check out prices and know what to look for and know how much theyre worth in your area. So be patient until you find one you want and for the right price and you wont regret it. Until then just browse these forums, do some research, ask questions, etc and good luck man.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
Being comfortable on bikes in general always helps. I hopped on my f4i without ever riding before. I used to do a lot of mountain biking and stuff which is about as far from a street bike as you can get on 2 wheels but i was still comfortable being on 2 wheels so even that helped me a little confidence wise. There was no learning curve with the clutch and throttle and stuff (in terms of being able to operate them) since i was used to that from atv's and driving a manual. Its all the same concept so i got on it and rode off and just took it nice and slow until i was comfortable being on something that can do what these bikes can. Just respect the bike and their power and take it slow at first and youll be fine.

As far as getting a bike just be patient and look around until you find the right one. A better deal will always come along so just wait and check out prices and know what to look for and know how much theyre worth in your area. So be patient until you find one you want and for the right price and you wont regret it. Until then just browse these forums, do some research, ask questions, etc and good luck man.
exactley. Thats what i meant in terms of knowing how to ride. I am responsible and will not be one of those guys popping wheelies and stunting. I just have a lot of respect for these types of vehicles and love riding. Thanks for the help everybody.

P.s.: what is the normal price range for a 01-03 f4i in good condition? I will have around 4500 dollars by the time i turn 18 to spend on the bike, helmet, jacket, gloves, and insurance. Thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM

every little thing helps you just need to know youre not on a dirtbike anymore and be in the right mind set so that some of those dirtbike riding tendencies that dont translate into street riding wont kick in and get you hurt. It all depends on your area but 4500 will easily be enough. You can find 01-03's for anywhere from id say 2800-3500 that are in good to mint condition. I got mine for $1000 that was mechanically perfect but just rashed up real bad cosmetically from an accident. I put about $500 into it and shes roadworthy again. Anything right around $3000 in good condition wouldnt be a bad deal. You just gotta look and be patient and youll find one for a good price and dont forget you can talk people down a lot of the time too.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
every little thing helps you just need to know youre not on a dirtbike anymore and be in the right mind set so that some of those dirtbike riding tendencies that dont translate into street riding wont kick in and get you hurt. It all depends on your area but 4500 will easily be enough. You can find 01-03's for anywhere from id say 2800-3500 that are in good to mint condition. I got mine for $1000 that was mechanically perfect but just rashed up real bad cosmetically from an accident. I put about $500 into it and shes roadworthy again. Anything right around $3000 in good condition wouldnt be a bad deal. You just gotta look and be patient and youll find one for a good price and dont forget you can talk people down a lot of the time too.
yeah I hope to find a deal like this when I'm ready to buy:
Honda CBR 600 F4i - AWESOME CONDITION!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate all you american riders with your cheap insurance and cheap bikes that you can ride for longer of a season lol.
I pay $800 full coverage and thats cheap for my neck of the woods.
I paid $4000 for my bike with 16,000kms (10,000mi) never down and that was a steal.
Right now a 01-03 f4i is going for 4-5.5k anf the cheaper ones are usually rashed up or with high kms.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM

im pretty sure ive seen that bike and those pics on this forum in the f4i picture thread. But yeah thats about as clean as they come. When the time comes for you to actually buy one im sure youll have no trouble finding something just as nice.

Originally Posted by jeffjones
I hate all you american riders with your cheap insurance and cheap bikes that you can ride for longer of a season lol.
I pay $800 full coverage and thats cheap for my neck of the woods.
I paid $4000 for my bike with 16,000kms (10,000mi) never down and that was a steal.
Right now a 01-03 f4i is going for 4-5.5k anf the cheaper ones are usually rashed up or with high kms.
$800 for full coverage isnt that bad. I think i got quoted for 900 for full coverage but i didnt really need that so i never did a lot of shopping around for full coverage. This one guy i talked to from canada said its cheaper for him to buy his bike just south of the border and import them. They were also barely used or brand new ducatis so i dunno if that effort and cost would be worth it for an old f4i but damn 5000 is a lot for one of those.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Damn. do i even want to know how much new bikes cost?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 PM

Don't buy the first bike you look at. I made that mistake and over paid. I fell in love with the way F4I's look and the red and white really did it for me so I jumped on the first one I looked at. Luckily there wasn't anything majorly wrong with it. Just a lack of maintenance and basic motor vehicle understanding. The subframe being bent was the biggest issue I never noticed while looking at it, but I bent that back myself with a very large bar. Just take you're time and find a mature seller who really took care of the bike. Otherwise you'll spend the first week and a half with it in your garage torn down to the frame like mine was. Can't say I didn't enjoy it but I couldve got something a lot better for what I paid. But it does only have 13000 miles so that's a plus. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
Don't buy the first bike you look at. I made that mistake and over paid. I fell in love with the way F4I's look and the red and white really did it for me so I jumped on the first one I looked at. Luckily there wasn't anything majorly wrong with it. Just a lack of maintenance and basic motor vehicle understanding. The subframe being bent was the biggest issue I never noticed while looking at it, but I bent that back myself with a very large bar. Just take you're time and find a mature seller who really took care of the bike. Otherwise you'll spend the first week and a half with it in your garage torn down to the frame like mine was. Can't say I didn't enjoy it but I couldve got something a lot better for what I paid. But it does only have 13000 miles so that's a plus. Good luck.
Oh god I don't even plan on looking for another year haha. I'm really gonna research because I think i'm going to need a lot of $ for insurance and such

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any advice on buying a f4i?