CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   any advice on buying a f4i? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/any-advice-buying-f4i-123857/)

lp87 04-13-2011 01:34 PM

any advice on buying a f4i?

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum. I am a 16 year old and am starting to gather my money together to buy a sport bike, and have been looking at the cbr f4i, primarily between 01 and 03. I am planning on buying the bike in a year and a half when I turn 18 and get my motorcycle designation on my liscense. So... does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for and pros/cons of this bike? How many miles do these run for if treated well? typical maintanence? ALso, how much would you expect to pay, yearly, for liability (insurance)? I have ridden dirt bikes for years and know how to ride already. Thanks in advance for any help,
Logan

kazspeed 04-13-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by lp87 (Post 1038583)
I have ridden dirt bikes for years and know how to ride already

Kids these days...

First welcome,

Second, come back to the forum when you realize that statement is wrong.

That mentality will kill you. Go take the MSF course.

pittsm 04-13-2011 01:58 PM

i think what he's trying to say is that dirt bikes and streetbikes are night and day. don't even start to compare the two. Just pretend like you know nothing about riding.

that being said, it sounds like you have a pretty level head on your shoulders because your wanting to do your homework and your planning a long time in advance. My advice is to just research and read for a year and a half, and come back and ask that question when your actually ready to buy a bike.

Good luck!

kazspeed 04-13-2011 02:01 PM

Dirtbikes don't encounter moms in mini vans --- the street is a totally different beast!

jeffjones 04-13-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lp87 (Post 1038583)
Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum. I am a 16 year old and am starting to gather my money together to buy a sport bike, and have been looking at the cbr f4i, primarily between 01 and 03. I am planning on buying the bike in a year and a half when I turn 18 and get my motorcycle designation on my liscense. So... does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for and pros/cons of this bike? How many miles do these run for if treated well? typical maintanence? ALso, how much would you expect to pay, yearly, for liability (insurance)? I have ridden dirt bikes for years and know how to ride already. Thanks in advance for any help,
Logan

pro's: Everything
Cons: CCTL

As stated take a MSF course no matter how many years you have rode dirt bikes.
As for miles, I guy in here broke 200,000miles on his, I doubt you will get that but it goes to show you how they run when taken care of.
Insurance will probably kill you being a teenager with no experience.
If you have any tickets you might not even get insured.
You will most likely be in the thousands for yearly insurance and depending on where you live is how many thousands it will be.

But take your dirt bike experience as you understand how a motorcycle works not that you know how to ride.

pittsm 04-13-2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1038607)

to clarify, that CCTL con, is pretty insignificant. Its a $50 fix that takes all of about an hour. but, it does happen to most of them.

Carl Trooper 04-13-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1038607)

As stated take a MSF course no matter how many years you have rode dirt bikes.
As for miles, I guy in here broke 200,000miles on his, I doubt you will get that but it goes to show you how they run when taken care of.
Insurance will probably kill you being a teenager with no experience.
If you have any tickets you might not even get insured.
You will most likely be in the thousands for yearly insurance and depending on where you live is how many thousands it will be.

But take your dirt bike experience as you understand how a motorcycle works not that you know how to ride.

I am 22, and my f4i insurance is 129$ a year with progressive :)

jeffjones 04-13-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Trooper (Post 1038657)
I am 22, and my f4i insurance is 129$ a year with progressive :)

Where do you live?
I have never heard of that being that low.
Less then $11 a month,
What coverage do you have?

nickp123 04-13-2011 03:28 PM

Im 21 and was quoted for like $220 a year through riders insurance in nj. It didnt include comprehensive for like theft and stuff but im not really worried about that. But other than that the policy had pretty solid coverage i forget the details but im probably gonna go through them when i insure my bike this summer since it seemed to be the cheapest.

lp87 04-13-2011 04:23 PM

Yeah I think you all misunderstood me wrong, what i meant is that I know the fundamentals of motorcycles and how to ride them, not saying I have any experience with street bikes (I don't). But, i have heard that off road experience helps when learning to ride a street bike. My friend with a 2010 cbr600 says his liability insurance is 350 per year, so I'm guessing mine, in the same area, would be slightly less because the f4i I would be buying is much older and less in value