F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)

Some of you already know that I've bought a used 2004 f4i from a guy, not knowing much about the bike. The deal seemed to be too good to pass ($2600), so I bought it. Anyway, the bike had many cosmetic blemishes that I've fixed already. But let's get to the point, not too long ago I've noticed an oil leak that would appear after the bike was parked for a bit. Today, I decided to investigate and started with taking the side fairing off, cleaning the engine and tightening the screws on the crankcase cover. When tightening one of the small screws, the thread broke off (see pix). I turned the bike on to see where the leak would come from. By looking at the inner side of the side fender, I was sure it was coming from the crankcase on the rotor side. I had the bike to warm up and after few mins I've noticed a drip from a small crack on the cover (right outside the rotor cap). I should have suspected it since the cover was beat up before I bought it (I didnt know about it until I took the fairings off myself). What do you guys think I should do with the thread part that broke off? No leak is coming from there. I know I need to replace the cover, and thats going to be the next thing I'll do before I ride again.

I also have an unrelated question: Today when I was riding, my bike died at an intersection and I could not start it back up. Could it be because of the low reserve fuel? I've noticed that the idle of the bike gets lower and lower when the bike is warmed up. What could be the case?

Thanks for any input!

Attached Thumbnails Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)-0703091845a.jpg   Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)-0703091844a.jpg   Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)-0703091844.jpg   Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)-0703091843a.jpg   Another Unfortunate Finding (AUF)-0703091843.jpg  

Old 07-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With regards to your warm idle:
The easiest thing to check for the low idle is a flat battery.

The next possible cause is that the valves need adjusting - as the bike gets warmer things tighten up.

As you have been having problems with this bike, I would recommend checking the oil filter, and possibly changing the spark plugs.

The oil leak - could be simply that the gasket needs to be replaced. If you do find the cover is damaged and that is the cause of it - replace it. You will likely find a good one in a local junk yard or on ebay. I've had both of my covers built up for track use and fingers crossed means I won't have to deal with this one. You may find F4 part numbers match - I think they *should* so it gives you more chances for parts.

Good luck! For that money you can't be doing too badly.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

It is important to get that broken bolt out as soon as you can. The longer you wait the worse it will be when it comes time to either take the cover off or what ever maitnece you may have to do. Get it while its fresh and save your self the migrane of having to tap and drill the old bolt out.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by drunkinmist
It is important to get that broken bolt out as soon as you can. The longer you wait the worse it will be when it comes time to either take the cover off or what ever maitnece you may have to do. Get it while its fresh and save your self the migrane of having to tap and drill the old bolt out.
The bolt itself is not broken. Its the hole with the thread metal piece on the engine that broke off. I've noticed that it was glued before. Should I have it welded?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by woot
With regards to your warm idle:
The easiest thing to check for the low idle is a flat battery.

The next possible cause is that the valves need adjusting - as the bike gets warmer things tighten up.

As you have been having problems with this bike, I would recommend checking the oil filter, and possibly changing the spark plugs.

The oil leak - could be simply that the gasket needs to be replaced. If you do find the cover is damaged and that is the cause of it - replace it. You will likely find a good one in a local junk yard or on ebay. I've had both of my covers built up for track use and fingers crossed means I won't have to deal with this one. You may find F4 part numbers match - I think they *should* so it gives you more chances for parts.

Good luck! For that money you can't be doing too badly.
What do you mean by a "flat battery"?

Would the valve adjustment be needed if the idle is quite high at start up (around 3K) and does not go down until i ride the bike for a while?

I am definitely changing the oil + filter when I replace the crankcase cover.
I actually bought one off ebay last night for $30 shipped.

As far as sparkplugs go, which ones should I go with? Do you know the model number?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:58 AM

If you don't have the service manual I would highly recommend getting it.

The bike will high idle when cold.

A low battery on the F4/F4i will mean it won't spark strongly enough to idle well. The bike at idle discharges, so if you get stuck in traffic, you can run the battery down. When it runs down it starts to miss at idle. In really bad cases it can actually stall. ~5k rpm is where it starts to charge.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by mbison83
The bolt itself is not broken. Its the hole with the thread metal piece on the engine that broke off. I've noticed that it was glued before. Should I have it welded?

heli coil the threads if its the threads that are stripped

Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by woot
If you don't have the service manual I would highly recommend getting it.

The bike will high idle when cold.

A low battery on the F4/F4i will mean it won't spark strongly enough to idle well. The bike at idle discharges, so if you get stuck in traffic, you can run the battery down. When it runs down it starts to miss at idle. In really bad cases it can actually stall. ~5k rpm is where it starts to charge.
this is what happened to me yesterday. it stalled on an intersection and i couldnt start it back up. i had to roll it 200 yards to my garage.

i have the service manual, which helped me out a lot so far.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nickels
heli coil the threads if its the threads that are stripped
look at the pic, bro. the threads are not stripped. the metal piece broke off (not the bolt) when i tried to tighten the bolt down.