CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   aftermarket turn signals misbehaving (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/aftermarket-turn-signals-misbehaving-136675/)

mnguyen84 04-11-2012 06:49 PM

aftermarket turn signals misbehaving

So I bought these neat mirrors with the led turn signals in them. Before I wired them up, the turn indicator arrow on the display would only appear and flash when I engage the turn signal. I assume this is normal behavior.

After I wired the turn signals (cut, solder, tape), both of the turn arrows appear on my display (not flashing). They are just light. They only flash when I engage the turn signal.

Another thing is that my turn singles do not blink. If I engage the left or right, then one of them just turns off. they don't blink. And if I do not engage them, then they both stay lit like fog light.

supercrewzn 04-11-2012 07:57 PM

Sounds to me that you wired them wrong and somehow it's back feeding power. Maybe you wired them into two hots instead of hot and ground.

mnguyen84 04-11-2012 08:34 PM

i looked into this, and apparently the led lights aren't drawing enough power to activate the flasher unite. Therefore, I have to either add these huge ugly resistors that may overheat in order to draw more power, or I have to replace the oem flasher relay with an electronic one. The former sounds lame, and the latter requires a lot of wire cutting and re-taping. Either way, it's too work for some stupid blinking lights. I'm grabbing a beer instead.

nrmskate 04-11-2012 10:58 PM

Were the signals two or three wire signals

Aleksander 04-12-2012 01:58 AM

replacing oem flasher relay is the way to go. I bought something similar to this

LED BLOCK OEM MOTORCYCLE INDICATOR FLASHER RELAY HONDA | eBay

it plugged right into the factory harness without splicing or soldering anything and that way it works with each corner of the bike so you dont have to splice resistors or anything like that. It also makes them flash the proper rate, though I never had a problem with them flashing, they would just do it super fast, which I always found annoying.

lashleyftl 04-12-2012 04:56 AM

there is a how to floating around somewhere that tells you how to wire it going from the stock 3 wire to the aftermarket 2 wire, you have to wire in some diodes. https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...unt-fix-18863/

lewisF4i 04-12-2012 08:11 AM

Had the same problem when I first wired my flush mounts... What I did was used the wire for running lights ( stock signals had a running light) all I had to was unhook that wire on each side and they work perfectly now ( they blink fast i need resisters still). So maybe give that a try before all that tedious splicing and rewiring

-Alec

City Bike Racing 04-12-2012 09:04 AM

Sounds like they are not wired properly to me. I ran into the same problem some years ago on my old gsxr. I went to test them and they blinked once and then stayed lit. After rechecking my wiring I realized i had wired it wrong. After fixing my wiring error they worked perfectly.

mnguyen84 04-12-2012 10:28 AM

it could be that i mis-wired it. i tested the wire from the orange/blue connector for +/- before cutting them up. There were 2 wires in each of the orange/blue connector. But when you mix up the +/- wires, wouldn't the LED not light up?

There is also another wire in a white connector. When I googled the white connector, some post somewhere said it was for running lights and not related to the blinker wiring. So I avoided it. :\

i'll double check it again, and I might invest in an led relay from ebay.

mnguyen84 04-12-2012 10:33 AM

that relay has 2 pins. the one for my f4i has 4 pins. how did you connect them?

Originally Posted by Aleksander (Post 1149085)
replacing oem flasher relay is the way to go. I bought something similar to this

LED BLOCK OEM MOTORCYCLE INDICATOR FLASHER RELAY HONDA | eBay

it plugged right into the factory harness without splicing or soldering anything and that way it works with each corner of the bike so you dont have to splice resistors or anything like that. It also makes them flash the proper rate, though I never had a problem with them flashing, they would just do it super fast, which I always found annoying.