How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Hotbodies Flush Mount FIX!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotbodies Flush Mount FIX!

I just got the Hotbodies Flush Mount signals and was disappointed to find that they didn't work as running lights also. I really wanted to keep the running lights for the sake of visibility, so I thought about it overnight and came up with a plan. I looked more closely at the wiring this morning and ended up installing relays in the signal wiring that allows the Hotbodies to work as running lights as well as blinkers. If there's interest in it, I'll put together a how-to on it. Cost under $10.

Check the video to see them work. (obviously still some work to be done) Hotbodies Flush Mounts w/fix

Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Hotbodies Flush Mount FIX!

Hey, I'd like to know how you did it. Most aftermarket turn signals are only two-wired so you can't have running lights. But I'd like to have the running light option for safety as well.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 PM

There are plenty of dual filament signals available from exoticsportbike.com. That's where I got mine.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:58 PM

That's true, but I haven't found any that fit as perfectly as the Hotbodies.

I really like the way they are made to fit within the contours of the fairing and aren't just a universal "stick-on" like so many-- the last ones I had were like this.

Anyway, I have decided to go ahead and create a "how-to" on this one for those who like the look of the hotbodies (or any other single filament style) but still want the security (even if it's purely psychological) of running lights. I won't just keep it all to myself! Keep an eye out for it in the next day or two!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 PM

lol, twist both the positive wires together and stick them to the single positive. pretty easy if you ask me. When the blinker wire comes on, it cuts out the running light wire.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM

When I do that on the f4i the indicators on the display remain on. It would be riding with two bright yellow lights on the dash all the time. Is this also the case for you?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 AM

Yeah, my dash lights stay on. But I got used to it, seams like they were supposed to be on now.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 AM

Lets see if you did it the same way I was thinking: 85-ground, 86 turn signal input, 30 constant, 87a turn signal output. And you did 1 relay per side.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 AM

mxman87--I think that would work, but if I'm reading your notes right, that relies on the aftermarket relay to do the flashing and I wanted to avoid that. It's the same relay, and yes, one per side, but wired in a way that uses the relay only when the signal is turned on or off.

BigWill--Maybe a person gets used to the lights on, but I'd rather have as few lights on the display as possible. (i.e. only when needed)

Just give me a little longer and I'll type up the how-to!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:33 AM

Yeah I'm not a fan of BigWill's method and having to have the dash turn signals on. I'll just wait for your jjb

Quick Reply: Hotbodies Flush Mount FIX!