F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

AFTER A CRASHED BIKE AND CASTED FOOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFTER A CRASHED BIKE AND CASTED FOOT

so heres the thing, i got a very very good deal on a sexy 04 f4i with no miles i rode here for about 3 months then one day after leaving my shop i was crusing home and slid out in some gravel and crashed into a curb, resulting in a twisted front end and busted rearset. now the bike can be repaired, infact im fixing it right now with a bright orange cast on my foot that was broken in 5 spots. i think ill live, but what i want to put out there is are there any good methods to getting back on the horse after a crash??
i never thought that it would get into my head like it has, now im no newbie, been riding my whole life but im not motogp racer either but dealing with the effects of the crash have been rough. are there some words of wisdom to getting back into the saddle??? or any advice some senior riders can dish out??
im not hanging up my helmet or anything but it does have my confidence shaken alittle ya know?
has this happened to any of you?
any close calls? share your stories and advice here!

-radvoem
ride safe, ride smart

Old 06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Default RE: AFTER A CRASHED BIKE AND CASTED FOOT

I would say just take it easy at first when you get back on it. Nerves are normal....after a while you will build that confidence again.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've crashed a few times, in different ways, from 5mph to 50mph. Touch wood though, no big functional problems for me or my bike bcos of the crashes. The first time hurts the most mentally. Guilt and panic and all that good stuff! Plus the scratches on the baby. Let it pass... Get yourself healthy first!
I started wearing full leathers and boots even for short daily rides. And being ever watchful. Do the MSF, track days and as much training as you can get to be comfortable with your bike. Beyond that, riding is definitely dangerous.

The profile pic's the last one with a good front fairing [&o]

Old 06-28-2008, 03:43 PM

I hear you...that sucks man

Old 06-28-2008, 04:11 PM

im killing to get on the track and get my moves back up, it just sucks waiting for ebay parts
hahaa
and i think ill look into some leather suits, my old man road raced for years so maybe ill raid his stash of gear!
thanks for reading

anyone have any other stories about overcoming a crash? or how crashing changed you life?
i think its really interesting how motorcycles influence your whole life, but in a split second you can crash or slip up and drop your ride
but if you love motorcycles enough, you can learn to forgive them
its like a smoking hot babe that you know is terrible for you, but she just rides sooo good you can stop untill your out of gas
yeah that sums it up
ride safe
RADvoEM loves riding!
and f4i's

Old 06-28-2008, 04:27 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The first and only time I crashed, all I could think about was how I had to take time away from riding to fix the bike. Then again my crash was very minor and was able to ride home with only a bruised foot.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 PM

then you must have been pretty lucky AKEN!
i wish i could have ridden mine home instead of on a flatbead

Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The bike took a decent beating still - dented muffler, fairing stay was pushed far enough back that the handlebars hit both sides, shattered windscreen, cracked and rashed fairings, broken mirror, etc... But yeah, I was fairly lucky. It helped that I landed in a ditch and not a freeway.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 PM

Well, rad. I crashed once so far lol. me and some buddies went out to hit some local twisties and everything was cool. we stepped up the speed that day about 5-10mph. I was on my good ole trusty Kawasaki ZR-7. they all had SS bikes. But she keeps up in the twisties. anyway it was the last hard curve of the day and after this curve their was a small bridge, and basically i went in a curve too hot "i was overconfident" and i knew i was done when i went in.

i tried to save itbut i couldnt, the stage was already set and it was in motion. i made a choice, i could hit the guardrail or go off the road.. I chose go off the road. It all happen so fast , yet so slow. like i remember seeing everything as it was happening, when i went off the road, i remember seeing the dirt getting disturbed by the speed of my bike as the front tire hit it, the fall from the bike to the ground, rolling etc. all in vivid detail.

Then you have your thoughts, only thing i thought of as i was crashing is "OH ****" and i might never see my gf's smile again. And it really woke me up. cause before i had my mind set that i was never gonna crash."i was overconfident" and now i really appreciate life alot more.

In the end i broke my front brake lever, my right rear set and controls, bent my handlebar, dented my tank(just a tiny one), cracked my rear fairing, blew both fork seals, broke my exhaust in half and tore a ligament in my left foot that im still suffering from after 3 months."and i rode the bike right after the crash for 6miles to get it to a friends house lol" I still absolutely love riding my bike. and I will always have one.

What i did to get back on the bike was, "GET BACK ON THE BIKE!!!!" and just take your time dont let anyone rush you. just enjoy it man. and youll get your confidence back.after 3 months im still not pushing it like i was, but i am enjoying it, and plan to take the new cbr to the track soon.

anyway get well soon man and get that bike fixed up.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Sucks to hear... What gear were you wearing?

Quick Reply: AFTER A CRASHED BIKE AND CASTED FOOT