F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Adjusting the Stock CCT. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the Stock CCT. Help?

Yes, it's another CCT thread. I've done multiple searches on multiple forums but I just need advice. It's been frustrating the hell out of me.

I've installed a new OEM cct but it's making a horrrible rattling sound. I'm assuming it's improperly adjusted. Here's where I need advice.

What's the EASIEST/IDEAL way to adjust it? I don't want to have to remove and re-install it each time while making minor adjustments (that simply takes way too long). There's barely any room to stick a screwdriver in the hole even with a jewelers screwdriver (due to the angle and cramped space). I can't find any ratcheting-type screwdriver that's small enough to go into the hole while it's installed.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Default RE: Adjusting the Stock CCT. Help?

If i'm not mistaken... an OEM CCT is self adjusting, hence what makes that rattling sound, it gets worn out and the spring doesn't maintain proper tension. But i could be wrong. Kind of a newb with mechanical stuff

Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM

Is it really self-adjusting?

I tried following a How-to but one thing that I did notice is that I did not have the "key" for the new CCT like this one shows.

I not even sure what to do now at this point.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM
WOT

I am pretty sure it's self adjusting, and that's why the APE is deamed manual.

Mine rattles and I have read all kinds of opinions on here, but it would appear that the rattle isn't really a mechanical issue at all but rather an annoying flaw in design. I am interested in what you find out because I was thinking about replacing mine with a new OEM CCT myself.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM

stock is self adjusting

Old 04-28-2008, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: rivets

I tried following a How-to but one thing that I did notice is that I did not have the "key" for the new CCT like this one shows.
The OEM CCTL is self adjusting. When you bought the new CCTL it should have come with the key in it. It prevents the "rod thing" fromextending out all the way. If this is the case, it would cause too much tension on the cam chain.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Thanks guys.

Now, the question I have is what am I doing wrong then? The cct is just insanely loud now. It already starts clicking when I briefly press the ignition switch. The sound get's horribly worse after the engine is fully started. I never leave it on for more than 10 seconds in fear of ruining the engine.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bakesf4i

ORIGINAL: rivets

The OEM CCTL is self adjusting. When you bought the new CCTL it should have come with the key in it. It prevents the "rod thing" from extending out all the way. If this is the case, it would cause too much tension on the cam chain.
Post a pic of your old and new CCT if you have one.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Most CCTLs make that noise b/c if you look at the lifter itself, you can see the tip is held on by a roll pin, that roll pin allows that tip to vibrate after a little bit and that is what makes the noise....it is safe to ride like that just annoying. You can tack weld that pin and it will remove the noise most of the time...the rest of the times the lifter itself is rattling on the CCTL housing...but that is more rare... and i made my key by forming an older feeler gauge to shape

Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 PM

I just enjoy posting this to make myself feel special. Just a little terminology to keep everyone on the same page.

Quick Reply: Adjusting the Stock CCT. Help?