F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Actual Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actual Top Speed?

I've been reading several articles that claim vehicles aren't going as fast as they claim at high speeds, due to mostly analog speedos. I'm curious, without using a healers, if the same applies for sportbikes, because they use mostly digital speedos.

Also, does anyone know if our bikes are limited to a certain top speed? Or if they just run out of power. I know they can do 160 mph, but I'm wondering how much more? I'm hopefully going to get some airstrip time, and would LOVE to max out my bike. I'm just wondering what I should be shooting for.

Edit: I'm also on stock gearing, I'm fully aware different gearing will change it. So I'd like to know stock configurations only.

Last edited by Zero1080; 04-18-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the first part of your question.

As far as what limits the top speed, I think it's gearing. Never having taken mine up that fast, I'm only giving an educated guess. When I'm cruising at about 7100 rpm (half way to redline), I'm going about half the listed top speed. That doesn't mean higher gearing will necessarily get you up any faster. It's possible Honda set a mechanically limited top speed right below the power/aerodynamically limited top speed.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
I've been reading several articles that claim vehicles aren't going as fast as they claim at high speeds, due to mostly analog speedos. I'm curious, without using a healers, if the same applies for sportbikes, because they use mostly digital speedos.

Also, does anyone know if our bikes are limited to a certain top speed? Or if they just run out of power. I know they can do 160 mph, but I'm wondering how much more? I'm hopefully going to get some airstrip time, and would LOVE to max out my bike. I'm just wondering what I should be shooting for.

Edit: I'm also on stock gearing, I'm fully aware different gearing will change it. So I'd like to know stock configurations only.

I doubt 160 is doable, although I have never tried. At mid-140s, my stock geared F4i is starting to reach its limits. I think it hits the aerodynamic wall at that point, the drag curve starts to go nearly straight up. My guess it is would reach 150 or so.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM

i once tried it on a closed road that had just been redone. i never hit peak power or top speed ( i was close though ) cause i didn't want to run out of road when i went to stop but i hit 156 and i can't remember what the rpm's were but it had at least 2k more to redline if not 3k. i'd like to think it had maybe another 10 miles an hour left in it. at that speed i couldn't tell if i was picking up speed or not.
i have stock gearing and i am 240 lb 6 foot 6 tall and this was on an 00 F4.

i won't go that fast again ever. my head was shaking going that fast cause of the wind. if something was in the road you wouldn't have time to think about how ur gonna go around it, u see it and as soon as u see it your going by it. telephone poles going by fast enough u can hardly count them.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speedometer will be off regardless of analog or digital. Speedometers are regulated to be within +- 5% accurate in the US. And manufacturers aim for being on the + side for liability reasons (no saying your speedo read 55 mph and radar says 60 mph). And the bike itself will change your true speed. Tire wear and sprocket changes affect it as well (speedohealer can't adjust for tire wear)

To get true speed, you'll have to be clocked or use a GPS that provides speed. Tho the GPS can be inaccurate as well due to update interval. So best way is find a cop and ask him to tell you your speed before he hauls you under the jail

Old 04-18-2010, 10:42 AM

The fastest I've taken my bike is 161, indicated not actual... She starts to show her limits when you get in the 150's. Actual top speed was probably somewhere between 145-150.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM

I used the gearingcommander.com and I went -1+2 on my 600rr and according to that website my top speed with my combo was 150@15000rpm. There are some that said that website wouldn't be accurite so I put it through a test with a gps and at 15000when I hit the limiter I reached 149 on the gps. Johnny

Old 04-18-2010, 01:51 PM

WOT got me 156mph. It wouldn't go in redline for me though. I held it for a good 5 seconds and it would stay right under it.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the gearingcommander.com
That's what I would do, if you really need to know. It's quite accurate.
Now getting to max rpms is a different story.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
That's what I would do, if you really need to know. It's quite accurate.
Now getting to max rpms is a different story.
I would say it is accurate for indicated speed, not actual. I went through it and it matched my indicated top speed but there's no way that 161 was my actual top speed. I'd say if you brought a gps with you to record your actual speed you would be lucky to see 150.

Last edited by teko1020; 04-18-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Actual Top Speed?