F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

$60 passenger footpegs with build in led turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I bought a bag of bulk LED's off ebay and a bag of resistors and like Aken I just wired em up in a series, but I wired mine into the wiring in the tail.
Mine are not in series. They're individually pre-wired for 12v, so I connected all the positives and all the negatives together on each side to create a single +/- wire on each side. I know you understand that and just read it too fast, but want to be clear for anyone trying it.

As for 5mm LEDs, I personally think 3mm looks better. They're plenty bright, they'll fit easier and look better IMO.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM

very cool could anyone show some more pictures of how everything is wired up?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Is anybody ever willing to just TRY something themselves without 100% step-by-step manual with high resolution photos? lol

No offense to anybody, but if you're interested in doing a mod like this but don't know much (if anything) about wiring, go out and get a few test lights and play around. Get the basics, then dive into a project like this. Once you've gotten that, you'd be able to do this project fully with the info already in this thread.

I've been doing lights on vehicles for years, and have dealt with a lot of newbies at it. Trust me, it's not hard. But you gotta have a little ambition - try something!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aken
Is anybody ever willing to just TRY something themselves without 100% step-by-step manual with high resolution photos? lol

No offense to anybody, but if you're interested in doing a mod like this but don't know much (if anything) about wiring, go out and get a few test lights and play around. Get the basics, then dive into a project like this. Once you've gotten that, you'd be able to do this project fully with the info already in this thread.

I've been doing lights on vehicles for years, and have dealt with a lot of newbies at it. Trust me, it's not hard. But you gotta have a little ambition - try something!
+1, theres a how-to on it somewhere that I sorta went by I found by googling it . And yes I knew what ya meant on the wiring as thats how I did it too, just bad wording on my part lol. When I did mine I got into doing it and didnt take step by step pix lol.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine on the pegs themselves. Basic wiring is easy. A roll of different resistors, breadboard, extra 12V battery and meter will make the wiring easier. Remember that there is a voltage drop with the LEDs even though you wire them in parallel. I worked all my voltage out on paper but forgot about the LEDs so I was glad I breadboarded it before actually soldering everything together.

Also, the laser LEDs are the bomb ... seen easily in the day and will blind you at night.

Will look for one of the links to the how-to.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the link ... gotta love the search function. Really , YOU MUST LOVE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!@

Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Here's the link ... gotta love the search function. Really , YOU MUST LOVE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!@

Wow. Gotta love this forum.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That be the link I went by, sorta lol.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by chrias
The 5mm leds will fit. I've already drilled mine out to mount them. I just have to wire it up.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Aken
As for 5mm LEDs, I personally think 3mm looks better. They're plenty bright, they'll fit easier and look better IMO.
The website you posted is selling some SUPER bright 5mm led, and they got my attention:

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

I might give them a try

Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by knonfs
The website you posted is selling some SUPER bright 5mm led, and they got my attention:

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

I might give them a try
Those are FAR too big for peg signals (you did not link 5mm LEDs, you linked Superflux LEDs - big difference). 5mm is the biggest you should consider, and even then I still recommend 3mm over 5mm. The size is nice and there is only minor brightness difference.

Quick Reply: $60 passenger footpegs with build in led turn signals