F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2006 CBR 600 F4i Vortex Frame Sliders complete...kinda

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new vortex slider pucks came the other day and so did my zero gravity DB windscreen..so I went over to my friends house today and we put those on..luckily the new slider pucks are a bit longer than the previous ones i had installed, so i was pretty happy about that. now I just need to tighten them really tight so they dont loosen from the vibration when i ride..that wouldn't be good.. =[

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey darkjuice, check your pm's I sent u one

Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the frame sliders being tight, you should use an anit-seize lube on the bolt that goes into the engine and medium (blue) loctite lube for the puck screw. This is so when you torque both bolts that they don't give you any problems.

Good luck and hope you don't have to use your sliders!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 AM

if you torque them correctly you won't need loctite

Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Okay, so I just did my frame sliders and it was kind of easier than I thought. (sorry, no pics of the progress, but I will take pics the next available time--in about a week).

However, something on my bike is just not right and it was like this before I went down. My right fairing is off by about a 1/2 inch and this makes for a very tough job putting all of the fairings back on. I got them on with the help of my brother, but if he didn't help me maneuver the plastics, I would not have been able to do it. My right fairing is like a 1/2 inch forward (only a problem with one screw, the one above the brake pedal/next to the frame slider bolt). This also made me break the plastic rivets that are apart of the headlight. I think they are still in the hole, but I heard them snap when I had to force the front fairing back on. I didn't notice it until like a week after I purchased the bike and just thought that they (the shop where I purchased it from) didn't have a screw.

Well, back to the frame sliders. Because of my right fairing being off, my hole is now off too, but only by like an 1/8 inch. It still does look good. My left fairing is almost perfect, but not 100%. I really don't care because I probably will be the only one to notice it. I decided not to use the Hillman furniture grommets (in picture above) and left it bare. If I used those grommets, I would have had to make a hole another 3/8 inch larger. I did all of this using the play dough method and it couldn't be any easier.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 AM

when you say that your fairing is off by about 1/2 inch, do you mean that one of your fairing screws is not aligned with the others? i can kinda picture what you're saying...like you have to push your fairing 1/2 inch forward to align the screw holes and then be able to screw it in...is that right?

that's weird, it was like that before you got the bike? hmm...

Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by DarkJuic3b0x
when you say that your fairing is off by about 1/2 inch, do you mean that one of your fairing screws is not aligned with the others? i can kinda picture what you're saying...like you have to push your fairing 1/2 inch forward to align the screw holes and then be able to screw it in...is that right?

that's weird, it was like that before you got the bike? hmm...
Yes, that is correct. To connect all of my fairings back (excluding the rear and wheel fender) I had to leave the right fairing unscrewed, screw it into the front, then I had to push on the front really hard to get the screw holes to match up for the right. The main screw that is off of alignment is the upper most screw on the right fairing.

My left is not like that.

Yes, this was like this before I purchased the bike, I just didn't notice it.

It shouldn't be a problem, I just get scared when maneuvering the plastics because I don't want to crack them, but I am always the precautions type.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM

When you're putting the side fairing on, are you bolting it down anywhere and then trying to push it to fit?

My left side was like that as well, i had to pop it in the air duct cover and then position the front first to get all of the holes aligned close enough.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by some guy #2
When you're putting the side fairing on, are you bolting it down anywhere and then trying to push it to fit?

My left side was like that as well, i had to pop it in the air duct cover and then position the front first to get all of the holes aligned close enough.
My air duct was set in place. It is just a really tight fit I think. I also hope that I won't have any problems with my headlight/upper fairing because those two rivet/place holder ends are broken off.

I guess I'll see when I ride.