F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 F4i Rpm going up and down?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Default 2002 F4i Rpm going up and down?

Ok so I rode my bike the other day, it ran great no problems at all. Yesterday I start it up to let it warm up because I was going to take a little ride before work. It was in Neutral running while I was backing it out of the garage. I noticed the rpms went down a couple times then back up, I didn't think much of it. Well I went to take off and killed the bike a couple times just trying to get going because the bike started cutting in and out, well I finally got rolling on the thing and the rpms was jumping low to the point of almost dieing and then back to normal, eventually then bike died out and I parked it.

Just wondering whats going on here, I know there probably is alot of things it could be. The bike has clean fuel, I just put fuel in it the other day and rode 100 miles on it. Just want to see if I can figure it out before I have to take it to the dealer.

The bike fires right up every time, you can here the fuel pump priming. Throttle is very responsive but something is causing the motor to jump down in rpm quickly and then back to normal.

Also, when I start the bike and it just sits there it idles fines, but as soon as I get on it and start moving it around it when the problems start.

Last edited by HarleyZ28; 04-25-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Sounds like it could be your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)