F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 F4i Headlight relay bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4i Headlight relay bad?

Hi folks, long time lurker but never needed to ask any question as most everything I needed had been answered before.

I took my F4i out of winter storage for a ride to my local Bicycle shop to pick up a part for my mtnn bike and when I was finished I got back on my F4i and a series of strange things happened.

First think I noticed was a "growl" like a Radar Warning Receiver under the front cowl. Next thing I noticed was both blinkers were on the Cluster were blinking, one less the other from a brightness standpoint. When I turned them off she started running smooth again (no growling) and I thought all was good. As I took off I turned on my High Beams and the growl returned and the Bike just died. After fiddling for a bit I noticed that if I turned on blinkers (blinking backwards btw. If i turn on left right blinks) or the High beams something isnt right (runs poorly then dies) but with it all off everything seems ok. At this point I noticed I had no headlights either. It seems the Back end lighting system is fine. Blinkers, running light and brake lights all ok. I rode her home just fine and began my investigation.

First thing I did was check my DDM HIDs. Both OK. Voltage checked Batt and it is a bit low at 12.5v but not enough to cause the issues. Checked fuses and batt terminals all ok. Pulled wind screen and removed tip sensor to ident which relay was growling. It is the 20Amp Headlight Relay. But, why would my blinkers blink backwards? Could both have been damaged by something else?

When I pulled HL relay the bike runs just fine whether HB light or blinkers are on.

Can you test the HL Relay with a voltmeter or is the growling a sufficient indicator?

I have located one for $25 but would like some confirmation from someone with more expertise than myself before I start a wild, ignorant goose chase.

Thanks for reading!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Well, Ive run the gammut. The Stealership is no help (without lotsa cash) and Ive read till my eyes bleed but still stumped.

Am I not phrasing the issue well enough for others to understand?

At this point all I can do is order the Relay and hope. Not my favorite thing to do

Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Default Re: 2001 F4i Headlight relay bad?

Walker,

I have a 2006 F4i, and my headlight relay just went out too. Granted, I didn't have the startup problems you had. It could be a problem with both the headlight relay AND the blinker relay. Also, screwy things can happen if you have LED lights elsewhere (ie. taillights, integrated turn signals, etc.) due to the LEDs being part of a computer motherboard and not just a basic lamp.

The growling is definitely a good indicator that the relay is fried. It sounds like your HIDs are taxing the the relay a bit too much, causing a short.

Your idea of purchasing new parts and trying them out is probably the best one. It's what I'm going to have to do as well. Before you go to the "stealership" I'd recommend checking out ebay first, though.

Hope this helps, even if only for peace of mind.

-Bonestorm