F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 600F4i maintenance/upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver-Raven
but i like the fact that stiffer setting will allow a more responsive turn in
no no no, sorry you have misunderstood me. i mean increasing the preload on the rear, which adjust the sag, how much the bike is already into the suspension, will in the end result RAISE the rear end, which changes the rake and trail, which allows for a quicker turn in. but if you are on your tippy toes you may not want to try it.
good idea though, reset to factory default, ride around, actually try to find a somewhat bumpy road to test on, bring a screw driver as well.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM

ok so i changed my oil this morning, and the oil was disgusting. straight black smelled of gasoline (concentrated) and was abnormally thick. Any advice as to why the oil was like that? i bought from previous owner who claimed to have kept it well maintained. regardless i changed the oil. before i changed oil the display had the oil light blinking and the red box was lit, which i lnow means oil is dangerously low and can effect engine. so after i changed the oil when i put key in ignition the oil and red light still shows up but when i start the bike up the lights stop flashing.... is this something i should worry about? should the oil and red square light stop flashing before i turn engine over? Also i noticed that coolant reservoir was completely empty so i put coolant into reservoir and took for a test spin ....engine temp has been reaching i think 223 then the fan cuts on for a bit problem is that i only been driving no more than 7min min no faster then 40mph is the temp supposed to reach that high that fast normally? and its only 48 degrees out side. im thinking maybe i have to put coolant directly into radiator is there any way to know if the radiator is dried up as well? sorry for the long book hope yuou guys have some answers for me. i also put the suspension tuning on hold until im positive my bike is running healthy.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i put key in ignition the oil and red light still shows up but when i start the bike up the lights stop flashing.... is this something i should worry about?
That's normal. The light turns on when oil PRESSURE is low. A bike has no pressure when it's not running.
engine temp has been reaching i think 223 then the fan cuts on for a bit
That's when the fan is supposed to come on. As long as it doesn't get over 230 your ok. Temperature outside doesn't affect it as much as air flow through the radiator. I your going slow or following cars, the temp will go up.
any way to know if the radiator is dried up as well?
Sure there is. Remove the radiator cap and look. The radiator needs to be full with a cap able to hold pressure.

What kind of oil did you put into your motor? I hope not the mobil 1 that you use in the car, bike oil is different. It needs to work with wet clutches which cars don't have. Do not use any of those slippery additives either.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
i put key in ignition the oil and red light still shows up but when i start the bike up the lights stop flashing.... is this something i should worry about?
That's normal. The light turns on when oil PRESSURE is low. A bike has no pressure when it's not running.
engine temp has been reaching i think 223 then the fan cuts on for a bit
That's when the fan is supposed to come on. As long as it doesn't get over 230 your ok. Temperature outside doesn't affect it as much as air flow through the radiator. I your going slow or following cars, the temp will go up.
any way to know if the radiator is dried up as well?
Sure there is. Remove the radiator cap and look. The radiator needs to be full with a cap able to hold pressure.

What kind of oil did you put into your motor? I hope not the mobil 1 that you use in the car, bike oil is different. It needs to work with wet clutches which cars don't have. Do not use any of those slippery additives either.
Thanks for the quick response i used shell rotella T6 syn, heard it was good for bikes ever heard of it?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM

what do you think of lucas oils fuel injection cleaner? safe to use? pointless or worth it?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver-Raven
Thanks for the quick response i used shell rotella T6 syn, heard it was good for bikes ever heard of it?
Heard of it.....? Love the stuff. Great for bikes!

FI cleaners effectiveness is debatable. If you're going the run it through the system, remember to add the right amount for 4 gallons. Don't let it sit in the tank too long.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Lol great. The cbr is running like a whole new bike from when i bought it two weeks ago. ill definitely measure correctl with fuel injector cleaners. my next step is too get these new tires put on but the shops around me want $80 a tire dont want to spend that much, been reading these posts about putting a tire on yourself....seems kinda iffy. anyway thanks for the info helped out a lot.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Keep looking for shops around you... I was in same boat... Everything immediately close wanted 80-102$ a tire but found a small shop that did it for 20$ with tire on the bike... Included Electronic balance

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Halzinky
Keep looking for shops around you... I was in same boat... Everything immediately close wanted 80-102$ a tire but found a small shop that did it for 20$ with tire on the bike... Included Electronic balance
yeah thats what i need to find a shop like that. does anyone know if the same machine (dont know what its called) used to mount and dismount tires off of rims for cars is the same machine used to mount tires on bike rims or can be used? if so might go to this used tire shop close by give him a few dollars to unmount the tires from rim and mount new ones on...was planning on using those balancing beads or whatever they are called that goes into tire supposedly you dont have to get wheel balanced once these are used.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM

I dont know anything about the balance beeds so can't comment on that but as far as tire mounting machine Im almost positive you can use the same one from car to bike... One thing to watch is the scratch... some machines scratch the inside of the rims on cars when the tires put on... Wont look to hot on a bike with your rim scuffed per cheaper tire installation

Quick Reply: 2001 600F4i maintenance/upgrades...