F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 600F4i maintenance/upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 600F4i maintenance/upgrades...

hey i just bought a bone stock 2001 600F4i with 13,400 miles on it. I live in Newport News, VA. Love the bike so far. I know my way around car mechanics but im sure a bike is a bit different. Bike has cracked fairings on one side not too bad, bike took a skid according to seller. i know fairings can be replaced not to worried about that. the bike felt mechanically....awesome. but im a newb to riding so i could have not noticed some things. any suggestions on the things to check on and maintain or change/upgrade being the bike is used? i just ordered a set of roadmasters 2, being that the tires that came with bike were worn out. Thanks for the help and advice in advance

Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM

F4I's are notorious for cam chain tensioner issues (CCTL). You'll know when it needs replacing when you get tinny rattling at certain RPMS.

I'm like you, I'm a car guy, and I think my knowledge of cars gets me by just fine with the bike. Pretty straightforward stuff. The only area I've had to read up on or acquire some specialized knowledge was suspension tuning, but there are plenty of good reads out there for that.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM

First off, congratulations on the bike purchase! All I suggest is take it slow at first don't think about mods just yet! You control the bike, not the other way around.

Check your spark plugs, air filter, and change your fluids if needed (oil, brake, coolant).

Make sure you check your tire pressure every week or even every time before you ride. Impacts everything about the bike, like a car.

Also, lube the chain every couple hundred miles. Standard maintenance. Remember to lube the chain when it is warm (after a ride) but let the lube sit (I usually just let it sit overnight) or else it just gets flung off!

Originally Posted by bamato
F4I's are notorious for cam chain tensioner issues (CCTL). You'll know when it needs replacing when you get tinny rattling at certain RPMS.
+1. It'll sound like BB's in a tin can. It'll be different on every bike but on my '06 it happened between 6.5k-7k, for reference.

Last edited by kevin...who?; 02-13-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Welcome!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

When you get a new to you bike, it's a good idea to change all of the fluids, the plugs, adjust everything that's adjustable. This will get you a maintenance starting point. Clean it well, every inch. As you do, look for loose or missing bolts, any damage, and anything that has been rigged up. Don't trust your life to someone else's cheap out cover up.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM

+1 for the above info. And welcome to the family! Tank grips are an instant gratification upgrade, if you spend any amount of time on your bike, your body will thank you! BTW they are pretty cheap too!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not comfortable with doing the first time check over, look up a local shop to have it done. Minor investment on your part and most are willing to let you watch and ask questions as they do it, it's a great start to your hands-on education. Owner and shop manuals can be found online for downloading. This forum is a wealth of information and helpful inhabitants, ask away if you've got a question.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I would check the chain, make sure its not worn out. worse thing you wanna do is break that chain while riding.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I Cleaned the chain off today, there was so much clogged up grease and dirt on the chain. i realized it had rust spots on it. is this an indication to replace chain? i went ahead and lubed it up anyway, The rear sprocket is not worn out yet but soon it will need changing, does the sprocket and chain tension determine speed or acceleration of bike? if so does the manual tell you how to replace sprocket and chain to factory setting (not ready to fly down the road yet). gonna have to do a search for changing spark plugs.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by bamato

I'm like you, I'm a car guy, and I think my knowledge of cars gets me by just fine with the bike. Pretty straightforward stuff. The only area I've had to read up on or acquire some specialized knowledge was suspension tuning, but there are plenty of good reads out there for that.
Is the CCTL problem a factory defect or something that occurs due to age of bike or poor maintenance aggressive riding?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM

they have new CCT now from the dealer, best to get an APE manual tensioner so you never have to worry.

rust spots on chain, change asap.

flush coolant and use honda coolant. dont use engine ice, doesnt last long.

adjust suspension to your size and weight.

Quick Reply: 2001 600F4i maintenance/upgrades...