F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

16kmi service

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16kmi service

I'm being told by the repair shop (Coleman, ugh) that there is a 16k service and that replacing the CCT during that time makes the most sense. They are quoting around $1,600 for the full service which sounds astronomical. Could somebody give me some more information on this service and what I should expect in reference to hours.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aroussos
I'm being told by the repair shop (Coleman, ugh) that there is a 16k service and that replacing the CCT during that time makes the most sense. They are quoting around $1,600 for the full service which sounds astronomical. Could somebody give me some more information on this service and what I should expect in reference to hours.
Is the CCT making noise? If it isn't don't bother fixing it!

And if it were just the CCT they might charge $200-300 at the most. I am not sure what the other $1300 consists of....

Sounds like they may be taking you for a ride.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Unfortunately Ive got the tin can of bees after about 5k and its driving me crazy. For the CCT alone, they wanted 4hrs of work @ 94/hr -- too much!

Originally Posted by kazspeed
Is the CCT making noise? If it isn't don't bother fixing it!

And if it were just the CCT they might charge $200-300 at the most. I am not sure what the other $1300 consists of....

Sounds like they may be taking you for a ride.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Ask them to break down the cost for you. Give you a proper quote, like a professional shop should do. If you have a weekend, and a tool set, head over to the HowTo and read the awesome article on how to replace the CCT yourself. It's really not THAT bad.

I'm even nice enough to give you the link

link:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-change-your-cctl-pics-116975/

Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aroussos
Unfortunately Ive got the tin can of bees after about 5k and its driving me crazy. For the CCT alone, they wanted 4hrs of work @ 94/hr -- too much!
That would be the most I have ever heard for changing a CCT...and 4 hours of work?! Thats completely insane. I need to replace my CCT and plan on doing it myself. If you search around this forum, and other websites, you will find a ton of information on how to replace it.

My local shop wanted $250 to replace it. I completely understand shops need to turn a profit, but I can't see myself spending that much money for a part that costs a fraction of the cost. Buy the right tools and clear your schedule for a couple hours and take on the project yourself.

From the sound of it, if I were you I would look for another shop to get my bike serviced.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 AM

That's an insane price to change the CCT my local Honda dealer said it would only be about 30 mins worth of work and whatever the part cost but lucky for my I have awesome friends that work at the Honda dealer and hook me up so it only cost me 40 bucks plus parts. After seeing it done it's really easy to do if you have basic mechanic skills. I think the hardest part was getting to the darn thing since there isn't much room to work with on a bike.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my CCT changed last year at the bike shop and he charged me $130 with the part and tax included

Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm going to second what everybody else said, and vote that you do it yourself. Somebody gave you the How To: link! Give it a shot. It isn't that bad. When I had my F4i, I did it. But $94 an hour? Burn that motherfukcer down.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

They are bending you over for a 16k service. Granted, it includes setting the valves, but $1600 is rediculous even for a dealership. First, find somewhere that isen't $100 an hour. Then make them do the CCTL for about an hour since everything will be apart anyways. You should be at about $1000 for everything I'd think.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 AM

if it makes you feel any better about the valve service, my buddy and I checked my lavles around 16,000 miles and they were still in spec....gotta love hondas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 16kmi service