F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

1 Sided swing arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007 | 08:46 PM
Default RE: 1 Sided swing arm

not me bro. i wouldn't put that on my bike

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:15 PM

haha every one is entitiled to their opinion if the idea of balance issues is tehre then why do tons of people who ride there bikes on the street put aftermarket single sided swingers on the only reason i am postin this is do help future people understand there is nothing dangerous about it and do it. as for the statement above it was a mistype what i was trying to say is the poeple who think this is dangerous shouldnt say any thing about it due to they have no knowledge to back up there statement.unfortunately i have knowledge to back up that it isnt dangerous and all the better people start doing it the fighter revolution is here

Old 04-11-2007 | 11:16 PM

I'm sure there are no balance issues. There very well could be strength issues, as a single sided swingarm has much more stress upon it (same as a dual sided + a bunch of torsional stress). Even if the swing arm is strong enough to hold up initially, considering that it is made up of aluminum, and is welded, I would be very leery of buying one that had been used. Fatigue is a huge problem in aluminum, and I doubt seriously that anyone who is doing this out of their garage has the know how to design a swing arm that takes care of all of those issues.

They look great, but, if you're not racing (i.e. need to change a wheel quickly), I doubt they have any benefit. If I had such a hard-on for a single-sider, I'd buy a Ducati.

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:24 AM

Woogie what do you mean there is alot of fatigue in aluminum? there are all different grades of aluminum and actually aluminum is used in just about everything now JETS your frame on your bikeyour car . Think about it how many times has your front end fallen off because of the aluminum fatuige from riding over rough roads or your front suspension adding pressure to it all ride every ride....never. so I dont think you can say fatigue is a factor.

and as for a ducati man sorry but im not a huge fan

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:47 AM

All metals fatigue. Jets and other aircraft are made of aluminum, but are designed by teams of experienced engineers with many millions of dollars of analysis to make sure that they metal is not stressed in a way that will limit it's life (due to fatigue). Aircraft of all types are inspected very regularly to make sure that fatigue has not set in. Even with such inspections, metal fatigue in aluminum has absolutely been the cause of many aircraft crashes, and has cost many lives.

Simply because you have never experienced a fatigue problem on a bike or on a car doesn't mean that aluminum does not fatigue - I assure you that it does. It simply means that those items you have used so far were designed properly. That may not be true for something that is put together in someone's garage.

Old 04-12-2007 | 01:13 AM

ok but its not a swing arm just built in a garage. its a dot approved designed swing arm not just something i made witha hacksaw also you can brace them just like any other swing arm most people weld a tube from one side to the other in which the swing arm axle would then go through plus when i do welding its all weld tested here at my work and trust me thats no bull**** testing i work in the oilfield in northern canada rigs and other pressure equipment go through strick testing. no matter how you put it it is safe if done properly not a garage type install as long as tolerances and machine work are all done and measured proffesionally its good to go

Old 04-12-2007 | 01:32 AM

Some people just look for excuses to disagree.

Bottom line is like albertaf4i said "DONE PREFESSIONALLY" where tolerences will be held and not in a shed in your cousins back yard its just as safe as the one on your bike already if not better in some cases.

If you are dead set against single sided swingarms you must me dead set against extended ones as well, and they use those on drag bikes all day long.

same theory applies there toowhen done properly its SAFE

Old 04-12-2007 | 04:12 AM

ORIGINAL: TrIkKeDoUtF4I
Bottom line is like albertaf4i said "DONE PROFESSIONALLY" where tolerences will be held and not in a shed in your cousins back yard its just as safe as the one on your bike already if not better in some cases.
+1, still seems like a bad idea, in a sense of too much effort for not enough payoff, but if star jones can be skinny anything is possible

Old 04-12-2007 | 06:38 PM

I finally figured out how to put a pic up so here ya go

[IMG]local://upfiles/15216/89147196680A4D77A8F1F5B5F36EC014.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15216/73BBDEE1552D49DD914D827912316B25.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:32 AM

Don't get me wrong......it looks really cool and makes changing a tire easier (like mentioned earlier), but is there really a benefit to all that work and $$$$ spent???

I couldn't justify it, but that's just my opinion

Quick Reply: 1 Sided swing arm