F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

+1 -2 ?????? is this what Im looking for???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1 -2 ?????? is this what Im looking for???

I've read all the posts about replacing the front and rear sprocket to increase speed, but I am neither a stunter wanting to pop wheelies, or a racer wanting to go the speed of sound. I'm just a guy that bought a 05 f4i to replace his 02 sv650s. I got used to having power in all gears at a flick of a wrist. and I want that same effect from mt f4i. Is changing the sprockets -1 down + 2up going to give me the desireed effect?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: +1 -2 ?????? is this what Im looking for???

yes, but you will have to switch gears more often and will be at a higher RPM when you're on the highway, your speedo will also be off by about 12% or so.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:08 PM

I've read that my speedo will be off in previous post, but someone spoke of a way to fix that problem. Also I don't understand how swapping out gears would effect my speedo. 10 mph is 10 mph no matter if your on a bicycle or a motor bike, right? Lastly, at present stock form I'm only getting 140 MPG before my fuel indicator comes on, regardless of if I ride hard or slow. Whats up with that, is that what you guys are getting?

P.S. Great web site!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed on the CBR is measured from the front sprocket not the front tire.

When you change the sprockets 14% the speed is off by 14%... it does the math on sprocket rotations, times by the rear sprocket (ratio front to back) and then times by the circumference of the tire times by minutes per hour...

A speedo healer will take the pulses, sort them out and send the correct speed to the speedometer/odometer... about 100$

I'm currently running -1,+2 on an F4 which probably has simular gearing to the F4i... if so check out my photogallery for charts showing actual road speed for rpm for various sprocket configs.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 PM

for the street that gearing is good.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 PM

ninetyfivehp, which gearing are you refering too? the stock or-1 +2? Also any feedback on the MPG issue?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:20 PM

-1 +2, bettter acceleration and toque but a loss of top speed, but the trade off is definitely worth it imo

Old 09-28-2006, 03:30 AM

-1/+2, I think is over kill.... yes you will be getting better 0-60 but once your buddys decide to cruze at 120 130 then your in ther dust and your night is over! if you want the tourqe the V-twin puts out... get a RC-51 cause the jap inline 4's dont have **** for low end tourqe! [:@]

p.s. I too went from a bike with massive tourqe and its just somthing your going to have to get used too.. i currently have stock gearing and i think its the best blend of top speed and acceleration..

Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 AM

I'm currently rolling awith -1 +2 gearing. its how i bought the bike.

I've gotten used to the fact that my speedo's probly around 10mph or more off at freeway speeds.

Gas mileage i see around 130-150miles before the reserve meter comes on. i thought it was strange untill i realized i was only putting in around 3.5 gallons of gas whenever the reserve come on. There's still around a gallon and a half of fuel left in the tank when i fill up( usually fill up wne im a bar or 2 down on the reserve. Maybe the shorter gearing messes with the reserve range calculations. Doing the math i m getting around 42mpg, thats around what people are getting on stock bikes and thats with me getting into it a little bit here and there.

My biggest problem with the gearing is not having an entirely accurate idea of how fact im going, and having the motor cranking at 7-8000rpm at freeway speeds.

There's still a good lack of torque in first gear until im going around 30mph (over 6000rpm), even with the gearing i still have trouble keeping up with my brother's nt650 in fast first gear takeoffs unless i rev the bike and slip the clutch a considerable amount, i end up having to make it up late in first or in second gear.

IMO gearing can help a bit with giving the bike some lower speed power, but its always going to be a peaky 4 cylinder no matter how you gear it, and i find the tradeoff in freeway cruising rpm not worth whatever slight advantage i have over a stock bike in first gear. So im going back to stock 16-46 sprockets.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Very interesting info Jason, and spdrmns if I cruise at 120/130 MPH I'd loss my CDL licence and wouldn't be able to pay for the bike. It's a rare occasion when I go past 100MPH and if I do it's to leave some tali gater in the wind. Comfort and a low gear power are more important to me.

What about different setups, such as going down one on the front sprocket only. Will that make a difference? Would my speedo still be off? Or should I leave everything stock and replace the can/ and be happy with what I've got.

You guys are pretty freakin smart!!!!!!!!!