F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

03 f4i tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well tonight showed a little more to the problem, high rpm in third gear with no throttle was popping back into second, and sometimes second will pop back into neutral, so im thinking maybe the shift star or detent?? do these bike have an issue with either??

Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM

i dont think thats the problem but no harm in looking .. the problem that you could be having is the shift forks are bent . again from lack of oil and hard shifting . i know you are taking better care of the bike .. what kinda oil are you running ??
i noticed a big change whe i ran honda oils vrs other brands. honda oils run better . but thats in my bike not all are the same try running some thicker oil and a better brand .
do you heard any noise from 2nd or 3rd vrs 1st 5th and 6th by that i mean abnormal whine or clicking?

and also whats the clutch cable free play like .. the reason i ask this is that it can cause problem in the long run with the trans . i mean if its not ingauging, disingauging correctly you will get hard shifts. and breack stuff inside the trans..

Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM

idk what oil is in there, im in the process of getting the house i just bought liveable and whatnot so this is taking a back seat right now. when all my tools are there i gotta tune up the bike and the car. clutch cable is good to go. i set both my throttle and clutch to have no free play, but its not too tight, its fully disengaged while in gear.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

YOU NEED FREE PLAY... your burning up you clutch you should be able to put a nickel inbetween the lever and the perach. if i spelled the right lol.. thats a very comon mistake and the throttel you need free play as well. your hurting the bike more than any thing ...

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

im sorry, but i dont believe its doing any harm, the throttle plate is fully closed when the throttle is at idle....and its not like i cranked down on the clutch cable after the free play margin, i simply snugged it up a little so it doesnt flop around.....

Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM

i mean its you bike. i only went to school for motorcycles what would i know. i have been out of this world untill last year i have been in the car sceen. but that doe snot matter much i guess..

Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM

I agree with spoolie especially with the clutch issue....im not 100% with bikes, but i know on a car u have to have free play or ur clutch will always be engaged, thus burning through clutch discs. u cant measure the 1/1000s of an inch clearance needed for ur clutch disc through the feel of a lever. it may be an expensive lesson to learn i suppose.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by spoolie25
i mean its you bike. i only went to school for motorcycles what would i know. i have been out of this world untill last year i have been in the car sceen. but that doe snot matter much i guess..
and i went to school for cars, im not an idiot. im aware of how everything works.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM

I had the same problem as you on my F4 and it was the transmission. Doesn't get better by driving carefully!

Work is not too bad though, and you can find good used transmissions on fleabay.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM

not saying you are stupied. i hate tha word. i went to school for bikes no money in it so i work on cars i am a high level a tech . but like i i have been around bikes and cars since i was 10 i am going to be 26 in july . but sorry for trying to help you ...

Quick Reply: 03 f4i tranny issue