F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

03 f4i tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 f4i tranny issue

so im slowly putting money into this bike getting it back to perfect since the last owner destroyed it. so far; tires, thermostat switch, front brake switch, manual cct. going to get new front rotors, and fairing kit eventually, but for now my tranny (i believe) issue. its only in second gear under heavy throttle and ONLY when i roll on from second. usually if iwrap out first and wrap out second it wont do it, it feels like its letting loose, then surging again, i can see the rpm needle visually buck about 500rpms when it does it. im already assuming im going to have to tear into the trans, its not too much of an issue, but id just like to know if anyone has any input.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch

Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM

haha, my first thought is clutch. Is it only second gear?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 PM

If you're experiencing slip in ONLY second, it could be a bigger problem. Have you been doing clutch ups / wheelies on it? Or do you know if the former owner did?

The clutch slipping in more than 1 gear would tell me it's a $150 fix. The clutch slipping in only 2nd, would tell me someone went wheelie happy and "possibly" ****ed some **** up inside.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM

well if its only second gear cant you just take it to a tranny/bike shop and have them rebuild it and replace only second for hopefully not too much?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM

May not just be the tranny, but hopefully it is.

Btw- have you tried adjusting your clutch cable at all? If it is your clutch, you'll be replacing 2 plates(2nd and 5th?). But if you're doing that, might as well get the whole kit.

Honestly, it's hard to give a complete answer here without seeing the internals. On the other hand, you may want to ride it until you notice more action. I know it sounds like bad advice, but it's what I would do.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 AM

its not clutch slip, its harsh like it lets go and grabs right back and only in second under heave throttle. im gonna assume its something in the tranny. im just gonna rock it easy in 2nd for this season and pull it apart in the winter, or in fl probably the rainy season lol

Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM

I had some slippage in gears. Yet this was from the previous owner using the wrong motor oil. After I drove it went away with the new oil.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM

again....... its not clutch slip..........

Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 PM

change the oil and see if you have any metal in it . it will be silver of course lol.. what might have happened it a tooth chipped or is worn out from lack of oil and or wrong oil. . what you are getting from what i can tell from what you posted is alot of ware on the gear it self . its prob pitted or some thing along thouse lines. since you are in Fl you said . try and run some thicker oil in it it my help. it will take up some talorance thats what oil is for to a point ..
sorry for my spelling and gramer i am not a book kinda person...

Quick Reply: 03 f4i tranny issue