F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 F4i throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 F4i throttle?

I was wandering what kind of play the throttle is supposed to have . When i go to twist the throttle its takes about 3/4 of a turn before it actually revs at all. When your sitting still you can twist the throttle back and forth a little bit before the rpms start going up. Is this normal????

When i put my new grips on they were about 1/2 inch short and now the bar ends dont meet with the grip.
Also when i tighten the bar ends the ends just spin, the screw is tight but if you turn with some pressure the bar end just spins and it doesnt stay tight for too long after riding. Could i have messed something up when removing them to put the new grips on. Are the bar ends meant for a specific side( onefor the left and one for the right??) Please help me im a newb at this do it yourself stuff!!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: 02 F4i throttle?

Bar ends:
-if they where stock they didn't need to come off
-I don't think your inserts spinning should cause a problem, but use red loctite on the fasteners
grips
- I think they just aren't stected. If it was ok before they should be alright now
-I use a gas for a lubricant plus it helps them stick when it drys. I also use compressd air to inflate them as I push them on. you can do it with out the air, but it is quicker. I think you just museled them on and bunch them up in the process.
Throttle play
- not sure of the spec, but it should be just enough to accommadate expansion contraction. I would call it 3/32
-haven't adjusted mine yet (it needs to be done though) but I bet its under the tank for that much adjustment. Check manual, but if the is a adjustment on the clamp-ons I doubt it is enough for the kind of adjustment you are talking about. Lift the front of the tank and find where they attach to the thottle bodies and it should be obvios what you need to do.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Well the bar ends never spun like this before and they sure as hell never came loose after some riding!! Since i did remove them is there a specific way to put them back on??? I just put the screw back in tightened them, but like i said if i put enough pressure on it , they just keep spinning. After a and hour or so of riding the screw is coming loose!!

Let me know if anyone can help me!!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta put some blue loc-tite on the screw that hold the bar end on, otherwise it'll vibrate loose and eventually fall off. Had it happen to me... got to where I was going, look down and "WTF where's my bar end??" hahahah

The throttle, I think they all come with a decent amount of freeplay. I can't stand any freeplay in the throttle, so I tightened it all the way up as tight as I could to eliminate any freeplay but not too tight that it would actually keep the throttle from closing all the way when I let go. IMHO it makes it alot easier to control! After awile of that I rode my buddies bike which had a decent amount of freeplay, and it screwed me all up. I couldn't shift for crap! [:@] Adjusting it is easy... right up by the grip, 10mm wrench and adjust away

The grips.... I'm not sure if they're side specific or not. I didn't 'think' they were, but again, I'm really not sure. You're sure they're the right ones?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:18 PM

My bar ends spin without end as well lol, and my throttle has similar play as yours about 2/4-3/4 a turn. Don't know if this is normal though.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Yeah i guess their right they say CBR on them and the place i bought them from said they were for an F4i! I dont know...ill try some locktite and see what happens. Im gonna pick up a new jacket on monday cause its starting to get chilly riding in the morning and at night here, so while im there ill get some locktite, and probably some new grips!!

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Hey how do you tighten up the throttle cable so there isnt much play in the throttle???

Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The top throttle cable (the ones closest to the kill switch), after it comes out and makes a lil bend to the left, you'll see a small lock nut, and then a really long nut (about an inch or so), which is the adjusting nut. Loosen the small locknut, then turn the long adjusting nut and keep feeling the throttle until you get it to where you like. If you're doing it real tight then your best bet is to do it with the bike running, that way you can tell when you've gone too far and you're actually starting to open the throttle. It's gotta have just enough freeplay so that the throttles are completely closed when you let off and they don't hang up. This can be a trial and error thing, just keep doing it until you get it where you want it and it goes back to normal idle speed properly. Then hold the adjustment nut with one wrench to keep from turning, and tighten down the locknut and you're set.

To tighten the cable, you should be turning the adjuster nut clockwise, when looking at the adjuster nut from the throttle bar end

Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the bike running, that way you can tell when you've gone too far and you're actually starting to open the throttle
I thought the two cables are both actuating against the Butterfly valve cam - I think this is so if the return spring was to break, you could still twist the throttle closed to slow the motor. (Without spring return)

Since both cables actuate against this (in opposite directions) it should be impossible to get it to open the throttle.

I'd assume this is a requirement (federal or other), as the Fly-By-Wire systems (R1/6) have the same 2 cable system, even though they are supposed to have an all-electronic throttle (Similar to many new cars).

Be careful to not remove too much slack (ie. get it to the point of NO slack) - if you do, you're going to be working those 2 cables more than needed.