F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 cbr600f4i idle/running issue please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 cbr600f4i idle/running issue please help!!

Contact
Hey everyone, im new to this forum, and im having some isues with my bike! I have tried to search through posts on both this site, and cbrworld with no luck yet. I keep finding posts with similar issues, but all the fixes pertain to cleaning carburators, which this bike doesnt have. Im hoping to not have to bring the beast over to the stealership as i dont have the extra $500 im sure they are going to want to diag and fix her. Anyways, the problem in having is i believe an idle issue. Whenever i start the bike cold, it runs perfect, but as soon as it heats up (no more than 140f, but osmetimes as cool as 120f) the bike will get a lumpy idle, almost like a severe vacum leak, and then die out. If i hold the throttle a bit (at around 1k) it will run perfectly, and i can still ride the bike, but i cant let it drop to an idle or it dies out. The bike is an 02 f4i, and only has minor mods such as a Power commander, jardine pipe, and an APE cct. I put the APE on about 2 weeks before this issue started happening, so i dont think its a cam chain tension issue, but i also could be very wrong. I also tried running the bike with the power commander disconnected, and i have the same issues. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!!
Matt

Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Matt, when you replaced your CCT, you had to lift up your gas tank. Is it possible that maybe you bumped a vacuum line loose and you didn't know it? I say, take your tank off again and check all the lines, you could have a line off. Thats where I would start first.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 PM

Stephens, thanks for your idea. Are there any vacuum components you know of that arent triggered until the bike heats up? Only reason i'm asking is because i was under the impression that if it were a vacuum issue, the problem would be constant, and not only after it gets to temp. It is an option to look into though. I have had the tank up and the airbox off AFTER i put in the CCT to check the throttle bodies as well just to check for any build-up, and the bike responded wth the same problem even after i took off, and re-connected all the vacuum lines. I dont know if the CCT has anything to do with the problem, but it did not start having issues unti a couple weeks after i installed it. Does anyone know where i can find a vacuum routing diagram online? I dont have the clymer on my bike yet.
Thanks again!
Matt

Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM

p.s- I thought i was looking at a picture of my bike in your sig! Thats the undertail that says CBR in the brakelights right? I picked one up for my bike a few months ago. They look killer!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM

I really like the looks of that undertail.

Here is a link to the manual for your bike.
http://stephygee.com/

I haven't heard of a bike that ran worse once it is warmed up. Maybe a bad thermostat?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the link! i think i got it fixed the idle adjustment was kind of frozen i pb blastered it, and adjusted the idle, and it ran all the way up to 220f and didnt shut off. Too bad the roads are too sandy to take her for a ride, but im definately pointing in the right direction!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Glad that I could help you out