F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 f4i- rev limiter. Not for more power...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 01 f4i- rev limiter. Not for more power...

i dont think rasing your revlimitor is a good idea. its there for a reason and its to keep you from running your bike at excessive rpms. an engine wants to inherently pull its self apart the higher the rpms the more its magnified same with size hence why big block car engine have much lower redlines then 4cylenders because there is more moving mass.

The correct way to solve your problem is to go back to the stock gearing and add mods to give you more hp in my opinion. becuase it will give you greater exceleration with out sacraficing your top end.

i am sorry but i dont know how to remove the revlimitor. its most likly done threw the bikes computer (ecm)

Old 03-15-2007, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

The correct way to solve your problem is to go back to the stock gearing and add mods to give you more hp in my opinion. becuase it will give you greater exceleration with out sacraficing your top end.
what i was thinking

Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: cbr_newbie

what i was thinking
me too!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i am looking at it from a money stand point. my bike pulls a LOT harder with the gears. I have a air filter, slip on and pcIII how else do I add enough power to make it pull like it does now with costing tons of money? Why cant i just leave it as it is and raise the redline 1k. I know what the redline does hence my comment about the engine blowing up.

Jesus next time I have a question I wont explain why, I'll just ask "How do I raise the rev limiter?"

Can anyone just answer the question?? I'm not trying to be rude!!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I understand his question:

First of all, how did you measure your top end speed? Unless you did it with a radar or some other external device other than the speedo, your numbers are off.

Secondly, anyone who has ridden the track can tell you that when the adrenaline kicks in that rev limiter has saved many-a-engines. Raising the limit can be done but is usually only done for an engine that it's builder is sure it can handle. A determining factor is the engine's harmonics at that RPM. Unless you can measure that for your specific engine, you may tweak the setting too high and cause irreperable engine damage. Honda put it where it is (about 14,250) if I recall corrrectly based on normal production tolerances.

Now, how do you raise the limit? The correct question to ask here is where is the limiter and what controls it? The rev limit is a function built into the ECU. It is hardcoded in its EEPROM.

That's all I will tell you. If you can't understand up to this point the rest is moot. But you're welcome to research the topic to your heart's content.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Your question intrigues me, and the answer your looking for is speed. You want more speed. Have you looked at remapping your Powercommander? But how often do you go 145 + mph? If speed and power is what your really looking for, I recommend saving your money and getting the RR with 1000 cc's. Or get a Hayabusa with a 1300, now thats fast.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 PM

I understand. And yes i used my guages and a post mounted speed radar display to measure my correct speed vs what my speedo said. If thats the case then I would need to reflash that chip. I'm not an idiot. Thank you for the information. Why was that so hard? My God...

Anyone have a spare ecu they dont want?

Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Hindra

Ok i am looking at it from a money stand point. my bike pulls a LOT harder with the gears. I have a air filter, slip on and pcIII how else do I add enough power to make it pull like it does now with costing tons of money? Why cant i just leave it as it is and raise the redline 1k. I know what the redline does hence my comment about the engine blowing up.

Jesus next time I have a question I wont explain why, I'll just ask "How do I raise the rev limiter?"

to be all flat out honest there is other areas that you could probly add hp to this bike. but if you cant understand that the engine most likly cant handle you holding it going down the track at 15k or 15.5k then you wont understand other ways to add hp sorry im just being frank.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

Your question intrigues me, and the answer your looking for is speed. You want more speed. Have you looked at remapping your Powercommander? But how often do you go 145 + mph? If speed and power is what your really looking for, I recommend saving your money and getting the RR with 1000 cc's. Or get a Hayabusa with a 1300, now thats fast.
serious! I want the 1000rr but.....like i said from my wallets point of view... raising the rev limiter would be much cheaper. I just have to get a copy of whats on the eeprom, raise the rev limiter then flash it..it sounds easier then it actually is. but its cheaper.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Hindra

to be all flat out honest there is other areas that you could probly add hp to this bike. but if you cant understand that the engine most likly cant handle you holding it going down the track at 15k or 15.5k then you wont understand other ways to add hp sorry im just being frank.

I got the information I needed. AND LIKE I SAID I KNOW WHAT THE REDLINE IS FOR HENCE MY COMMENT ABOUT MY ENGINE BLOWING UP. Have you not been reading what Ive been saying either? To be frank I do understand what I am talking about, and what you think your talking about. I know what could happen. Unless I take weight off my bike, lose some weight myself (5'9" 160lbs)I dont have much to lose, or start getting into the motor there isnt to much more I can do to add power. So dont try and make me look stupid just so you can feel better. Why are you guys being like this? lol All I wanted was to know how to raise the rev limiter. I am done with this topic.

Quick Reply: 01 f4i- rev limiter. Not for more power...