F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4i

Hey all, I've read quite a bit about this problem on the f4i but mine has a little something different that I haven't seen. My clock and tripometer starting resetting every now and then and I saw on here where people said that it was either battery or r/r. Well, my speedometer, tach, and temp stopped working completely last night, the only thing different about mine than the ones I've read about is that my f4 light is dimmly lit all the time now even with the key off and out. The bike was running yesterday when this happened but I can't speak to any performance issues since I had just pulled in the garage when this happened and its been raining all day today. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM

This same thing happened to me. First off check your fuses under the seat and make sure they're good. Then you'll have to take the cluster off and undo the back part of the cluster. There are two plugs and I'll bet one is unplugged. Check it out and I'm pretty positive that's your problem.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 AM

Just to chime in with a maybe, lets not also forget the most simple potential culprit to this. As we all know on cars occasionally battery terminals are very loose. This could also be your problem. Make sure that both battery terminals are securely fastened. One or both of them could be just loose enough for it to stop touching where it needs to on your battery causing the exact issue.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 AM

Hey thanks guys. Yup, checked battery, checked fuses, all is good. While I was investigating I reached behind the cluster and moved the wires around and sure enough the gauges would come on and off. So there is my problem. I just got to get a min to take it off. Oh and by the way, could that by chance give me an erratic temp reading and cause the fan to not always come on when it supposed to? This started last night.
THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the connection is loose then anything related to the gauges could be affected. Fix the connection and then see what happens.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Yup, that was the problem. One of the connections in the cluster was loose. Plugged it in and it fixed the gauges, temp AND made the fan come on when it was supposed to. THANKS FOR THE HELP

Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Sweet. Glad you found the problem.