F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01-03 Color-Match Rear Seat Cowl? Do They Still Exist? Can Anyone Out There Make One?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01-03 Color-Match Rear Seat Cowl? Do They Still Exist? Can Anyone Out There Make One?

The title pretty much says it all. I've tried ebay, craigslist, google, etc. I even ordered a white Targa solo seat cowl from HardRacing.com only to get an email the next day saying they had been discontinued. I've heard bad things about PowerBronze (poor fitment, crude mounting system, exposed bolt head) AND they only come in black. I emailed Pyramid Plastics; they've discontinued the F4i rear seat cowl. Ermax makes a pretty shˇtty-looking cowl that slips over the stock passenger seat, and, again, only comes unpainted. I rode down to Targa's HQ in Aliso Viejo yesterday and they said they MIGHT be able to get me an UNPAINTED cowl (turns out California environmental laws prohibit them from painting with the lacquer-based paint required to color match my white '01). Of course, after I spend the $150+ on the cowl, I get to go straight to colorrite and hand them another $70+ for the paint. The gentleman I spoke to at Targa did say that there has been a lot of demand for that particular part lately. Does anyone have a line on a supplier (outside the US perhaps?) for a color-matched rear seat cowl? If anyone out there has the experience, and/or the equipment, and/or the inclination to produce this part, I'm sure there would be a pretty decent market for it. There are all kinds of cheap plastics coming out of China right now. Hell, I even found some F4i fairing kits WITH painted plastic tank covers! However, after weeks of searching everywhere I can think of, I've come up utterly empty-handed. Any help would be thoroughly appreciated!

Last edited by romoses4; 02-11-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you checked with any of the fairing companies, like extremefairings? Maybe they could make one or maybe find a race tail.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 PM

I've emailed extremefairings but I haven't heard back. I suppose a race tail would give the desired look, but I use the space under my rear seat frequently, and I've certainly never seen or even heard of anywhere that sells color-matched race plastics.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 AM

Yeah the pad, the bolt sticking out of the top and the black color all really come together to make nearly $200 seem like a serious rip-off for the PowerBronze cowl.