F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Wind Noise

I have posted in the past about my problems with wind noise on the F4i. I own a Shoei Qwest helmet, and ride with a Zero Gravity Grand Touring windscreen. I have stuffed and blocked every entry point for wind to enter this helmet, so theoretically, I shouldn't have any issues, but every time I go out, a get an overwhelming booming noise as wind rushes into the helmet.

I was riding today, and while in the a normal, leaning forward riding position, I am getting wind booming into the helmet. Sitting upright, or down under the windscreen - doesn't matter.

However, when I tilt my head up towards the sky, everything goes dead quiet, unbelievably quiet, but only in that position. So my question is, what do I need to change? It would seem the helmet is insulated enough if it catches wind from the right position, so I would need to change how the wind is hitting me from the bike, right?

I feel like I am almost back to an enjoyable riding experience again, please help me finish the last piece!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 AM

i've found with my rf-1100 and cheap 7 zero 7 helmet all the noticeable wind noise comes from underneath.
perhaps its a possibility when you look up the wind presses whatever you have down there to the helmet.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Are there any modifications I can make to the bike that will angle the wind so that i can sit normal and have the wind blocked? What change would be the opposite of titling my head up on the bike?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wear earplugs for a start, then make sure your helmet fits properly. I find high screens tend to make wind noise worse as it pushes wind that would hit your chest up to your face where it can work into gaps at the base of the helmet. You can also get helmet wind collars to block wind (i.e. wind blocker) but I suspect they don't do much good for ventilation.

Seriously though, even if it seems quiet you are putting yourself at risk of hearing damage and things like tinnitus if you don't wear earplugs.

BTA - Motorcycling and the ear

Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

When I switched from my old bell apex to the bell star I couldn't believe how noisy it was. It really is intense. Wind noise is a fact of life though. That and I already ride with ear buds that act like plugs along with piping in my sweet tunes so it isen't an issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 Earplugs.. even the $.50 foam ones work well to reduce wind noise, custom made earplugs can even have headphones built-in... w/custom fitting, reduces noise even more.
Hearing damage is irreversible, take good care of ears while u can.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always found shoei helmets to be on the noisy side. Maybe its my head shape, I dunno. A tzr and an rf1100 were both about the same.My new scorpion seems to be much quieter - but I've only used it twice, and once on the highway.

I usually have a set of foam earplugs on me, as the can on the hurricane can drive me crazy on long rides.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the neck curtain in the helmet? It's not the bike.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Do you have the neck curtain in the helmet? It's not the bike.
I recommend a neck curtain to see if that makes a difference. Make sure the helmet is a proper fitment as well, nice and tight.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a RF1100. I don't use the neck curtain it came with. Even more so, after about 2 years it has gotten louder as the pads have worn.

Quick Reply: F4i Wind Noise