F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Turn Signal Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn Signal Wiring

Hey guys, I'm having a weird problem with my turn signals. They worked previously but now whenever i hit the switch, nothing happens, except he relay makes a buzzing noise.

I dont currently (never have yet) have the front signals plugged in. The wiring harness was all messed up. Can anyone tell me the simple path that the turn signals and relay get and pass power and also how do i test the relay. New ones are 45 bux so hopefully its ok.

I'm going to take a look at the diagram in the service manual, but im soo sick of looking at diagrams after fixing my buddies gsxr750's key switch

thanks to anyone that can save me the headache

Old 07-31-2010, 11:39 PM

At the front lights:
dark green = ground
orange = left blinker
orange/white = left runninglamp
sky blue =right blinker
sky blue/white = right runninglamp

the rear is the same, but without the white-striped wires

the sky blue appears to tie to both front and rear lights, and the right turn indicator light at one point, and that wire ties to the turn signal switch at another point.

Same scenario for the orange.

sky blue/white & orange/white white both run from the bulb to the switch housing. there they tie together inside the switch, and a Black/Brown wire runs from the switch to the relay.

The Orange and Sky Blue wires run separately to the switch, and a grey wire runs to the relay.

At the relay there is the grey wire, the black/brown, and the dark green (ground)

Unfortunately, I haven't dug into a harness enough to find where all the tie in points are.

*edit* missed your part about testing the relay.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 07-31-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 AM

ok - tested my relay for ya.

at the plug, the dk green is ground, and the black/brown carries 12v. The grey wire is the output to the blinkers. It was carrying about 6.8v with no blinkers turned on.

Unfortunately, I cant figure out the internal schematics of the relay, and quick research says that what u describe is a bad relay.

Good news is that it seems you can find em cheaper than $45 on ebay, and I make no guarantees, but you might be able to cross reference a flasher from a newer bike - part # FE246BH

Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it's a bad relay, just replace it. Relay's don't buzz unless the internal coils are destroyed.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
ok - tested my relay for ya.

at the plug, the dk green is ground, and the black/brown carries 12v. The grey wire is the output to the blinkers. It was carrying about 6.8v with no blinkers turned on.

Unfortunately, I cant figure out the internal schematics of the relay, and quick research says that what u describe is a bad relay.

Good news is that it seems you can find em cheaper than $45 on ebay, and I make no guarantees, but you might be able to cross reference a flasher from a newer bike - part # FE246BH

Wow thanks a ton! After doing some drawing I was able to figure out most of the wiring. I bought a universal 3 prong flasher relay from autozone and am having a hard time figuring out how to wire it.

From what i understand, you are saying that the running lights are the white striped wires. the flasher relay's job is just to turn these lights on?

what box (switch or flasher relay) tells the turn signals to blink and give power to them. I understand which wires go to the turn signal, just not how those wires get the pulsing power.
the flasher has 3 wires.
green is ground
black/brown is constant power it seems
gray does ???? what other than connect to the switch? does it supply power to something?

thanks sooooo much for your time. im pulling my hair out, just wanna ride

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Yes - at the front the sky blue and orange wires with the white stripes are the 12V+ for the running lights (always on when the ignition is on).

remember the front bulb has 2 elements in it - one is a lower wattage/brightness (The running lamp) and the brighter/higher wattage element is the blinker. Normal operation the running element is lit up, and when you turn on a blinker, the running element shuts off completely, and the blinking element lights up and flashes. Once you cancel your blinker, the running lamp element comes back on.

the stock relay is more than a flasher - it is switching ground across the blinker leads and the running lamp leads apparently. I can't find a diagram for it, but internally it is handling the blink function, and at the same time turning off the running lamp lead for that element in the bulb.

I dunno what type of 3 prong you bought, and haven't taken a lot of time checking them out - there appear to be some on the web that might work. does yours have labels on the prongs, like B/L/E?

B should be your 12V+ - so the Black/Brown wire
E is ground - Green
L should be the Gray.

Test it by making jumpers that you can insert into the stock plug (paperclips can work) and connect to the prongs on your flasher unit you have purchased.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Yes - at the front the sky blue and orange wires with the white stripes are the 12V+ for the running lights (always on when the ignition is on).

remember the front bulb has 2 elements in it - one is a lower wattage/brightness (The running lamp) and the brighter/higher wattage element is the blinker. Normal operation the running element is lit up, and when you turn on a blinker, the running element shuts off completely, and the blinking element lights up and flashes. Once you cancel your blinker, the running lamp element comes back on.

the stock relay is more than a flasher - it is switching ground across the blinker leads and the running lamp leads apparently. I can't find a diagram for it, but internally it is handling the blink function, and at the same time turning off the running lamp lead for that element in the bulb.

I dunno what type of 3 prong you bought, and haven't taken a lot of time checking them out - there appear to be some on the web that might work. does yours have labels on the prongs, like B/L/E?

B should be your 12V+ - so the Black/Brown wire
E is ground - Green
L should be the Gray.

Test it by making jumpers that you can insert into the stock plug (paperclips can work) and connect to the prongs on your flasher unit you have purchased.

PERFECT!! Absolutely PERFECT!!!! I have a near identical relay from autozone. has the same markings and all. I wasn't aware that the stock setup used a dual filament bulb. I never had the stock lights. Im just going to Wire up the turn signals only because my 194 bulbs are signal filament.

I cannot stress how much this helped. This is EXACTLY what i was hoping for. Should have the bike ready tomorrow Thanks so much

Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious how this worked out for you...?