F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Starter/Ign Fuse Blown, other electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/Ign Fuse Blown, other electrical gremlins

So, my bike has managed to strand me for the second time. Today, while riding around, my bike suddenly lost electrical power and would not turn back on.

Problem #1: My R/R was not functioning and my battery was overcharged and died. I know this because I could smell the burnt battery (smells like bad eggs).

Problem #2: After replacing the battery, I had power, but the starter would not work, and my low-beam bulb was burned-out. Bump-starting did not work, either. Turns out my starter/ign fuse was blown.

Will an overcharged battery provide too much power to the bike and kill it? Or was it the stator that killed the bike because of the R/R failing to do what it does? Earlier today, when I pushed the starter button, I heard an odd clicking noise and it did nothing (this was also while the battery was overcharged, but still barely functioning). I push-started the bike and went on my way, thinking I'd fix it later. Then the bike shut down completely about 15 minutes later.

After replacing the fuse, the starter worked momentarily, and then the fuse blew again. I know that the issue is probably a wire grounding out because I used a good battery on this last try, so the battery wasn't the issue. Where should I begin to look?

Last thing. My left-turn signal has stopped functioning as a running daylight, but it still works as a turn signal. My front brake lever also fails to light up the brakelight. What are the fixes for these?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM

Did you replace the RR?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 AM

The R/R itself is good, but the wiring was tricky because it needs 8 wires and the CBR harness only provides 5 (it's an aftermarket R/R). So I'm re-doing the wiring to make sure I got it right, since I obviously didn't.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyBear
Last thing. My left-turn signal has stopped functioning as a running daylight, but it still works as a turn signal.
Probably just a bad bulb.

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyBear
My front brake lever also fails to light up the brakelight. What are the fixes for these?
Short?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM

are the 2 little connectors plugged in on the starter switch assembly? If those aren't plugged in, the brake light wont turn on. If just the front wont light up the brake light and the connectors are plugged in, then the switch is probably dead. It is easy to replace, only 1 or 2 screws to take it off and get another