F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

slipping clutch, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you take it apart, it'll be clear as day which ones are which

Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Haha, yup..you'll know LOL. As for the bigger fiber plate, it's the one that goes back in motor first. The inside diameter is larger than rest of the other fibers. It's like that to clear the judder spring and it's seat. Always start with that one. Get you an old tupperware bowl with fresh engine oil (same oil you use in bike) and dip each one before inserting.

I finally downloaded that F2 manual. It is almost identical to the RR so what I said about oil pan and oil pump are true (Not the kinda thing I wanna 2nd guess about, that's why I wanted to check).

Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Is a new oil pan gasket required as well? Are they like the other gaskets that are just the paper that rips whenever you take it off? I dont want to tear into this and then get stuck not being able to put it together. It sucks though, Because I wont be able to get any of the gaskets in until thursday. After possibly having a clogged oil pickup from rtv, I'm a little nervous to use it again. Sucks too, its my only mode of transportation right now.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 PM

If you're nervous about the RTV then just don't use it and wait on gaskets. Like I said before, none of my motors have any gaskets except for head and valvecover. I read somewhere about F2's requiring gasket for camchain tensioner and it must be turned certain way. I'm a HUGE Hondabond fan. That is hands down best gasket sealer I've ever used. It seals like crazy. Sorry man, wish I had better news and you lived closer, I'd hook ya up.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Well I might have found a dealership about an hour away who have them in stock. I might be able to pick them up monday. I'll drop the oil pan tomorrow and see how it looks in there. Hopefully its a clogged pickup, open and shut. Then I can ride it until I get the new clutch plates and springs in, and make everything perfect! Can't wait to be able to ride again.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:14 AM

Hopefully there's no bearing material in there. Getting gasket material off bottom of block is going to be a pain, especially doing it upside down LOL.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM

You will need a gasket for the clutch cover. Hondabond works.

You can also buy this -- Factory pro shift kit!

It's the factory pro shift kit, which helps for quicker more firm shifting. It'll feel TOO tough at first, but trust me it breaks in quite nice and becomes very complacent with time. Did I mention it's comparable in price to JUST the oem gasket?

So buy that, slap in the new clutch plates and springs (hell, go kevlar) and you'll probably never have to think about anything for a while. Just prepare for some mind slamming launches!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Okay well I finally got the gaskets in a few days ago. Dropped the pan, no shavings but plenty of rtv in the pickup. Cleaned it out, put it back together, and rode it a little bit. Probably only put 5 or so miles on it. Then today i'm in town, and the bike starts making the noise again, so I kill it, and it won't start again. I can only imagine the pick up is clogged again, but I don't know from what. I'm about to drop the pan, so we'll see. Is there anywhere else rtv could be hiding? I cleaned the pan out and everything, I don't know at this point...

Also I got the clutches in today. Do I need any special tools to put them in? I know the service manual talks about 2 special tools (which I don't have). Should I wait til monday and just give it to a shop to do? Or try to tackle it in the parking lot?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Okay, well bad news. I dropped the pan out, and this time I had a few shavings. Nothing real big or a lot, but a few specs in there. Also the pickup is still clean. I really don't even know where to go at this point. I would guess checking the oil pump? Are a few shavings a huge deal? I don't know what to do, pretty upset, cause I'm out of money really and STILL can't ride my bike...

Old 09-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Okay well just hopeful thinking, but is there anyway the shavings could be from the clutches slipping? I assume its probably a bearing so I guess we'll see. I found a small local shop I heard good things about it, so I might just take it there. It sucks though, because I don't know how I'm going to pay for the bike and rent...

Quick Reply: slipping clutch, questions