F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've dealt with Tony a few times, he's good people.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html

For our bikes we would use the VRRPM3H at the bottom of the page.

If your harness wires/connectors are burned up, he can help you out with that too.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have a 92 600f2 that has the 7 wire gsxr 1000 rec reg on it and its WONDERFUL no problems whatsoever

Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM

I just ordered the gixxer r/r. I was wondering if anyone that has used the r/r had a picture. I just need to see how its mounted. thanks in advance

james.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by chutneybutters
I just ordered the gixxer r/r. I was wondering if anyone that has used the r/r had a picture. I just need to see how its mounted. thanks in advance

james.
when it warms up outside ill pull my rear faring off and post a pic of mine along with the plugs that mine has on it from a 7wire to a 5wire plug

Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sand.Man
I've dealt with Tony a few times, he's good people.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html

For our bikes we would use the VRRPM3H at the bottom of the page.

If your harness wires/connectors are burned up, he can help you out with that too.
Hey Sand.man,

Do you think Tony's R/R's are the way to go instead of the electrosports and others that are available out there? (by the way, I have a 93 CBR600F2)

thanks

Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 PM

I just purchased an 05 GSXR recitifer and installed it on my CBR600F2. Have not rode it yet. Wanted to show you guys what I did, and see if you think this will be adequate or not.

I didn't want to cut the original wire harness off, so I used male quick connects and plugged them into the wire harness. I capped the two extra wires (extra positive and extra negative), ran the 3 black to the yellow stator leads, and the black with red stripe to the red, and the black with white stripe to the green. I used dielectric grease on the connections, and I intend on wrapping everything with electrical tape, but I wanted to see if you all thought I am looking for problems with this setup or not.

If the setup is not going to work, can you suggest something else I can do without chopping the factory harness?

Thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved-cimg3188.jpg   Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved-cimg3186.jpg   Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved-cimg3187.jpg   Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved-cimg3183.jpg   Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved-cimg3182.jpg  

Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by zero1niner
I just purchased an 05 GSXR recitifer and installed it on my CBR600F2. Have not rode it yet. Wanted to show you guys what I did, and see if you think this will be adequate or not.

I didn't want to cut the original wire harness off, so I used male quick connects and plugged them into the wire harness. I capped the two extra wires (extra positive and extra negative), ran the 3 black to the yellow stator leads, and the black with red stripe to the red, and the black with white stripe to the green. I used dielectric grease on the connections, and I intend on wrapping everything with electrical tape, but I wanted to see if you all thought I am looking for problems with this setup or not.

If the setup is not going to work, can you suggest something else I can do without chopping the factory harness?

Thanks for the help.
well, here is what i've read regarding the quick connectors:

"Do not use any sort of crimped endings. There is serious amounts of current going through here and the crimped leads will burn up very quickly."

"If you can't find a connector (the wreckers are unwilling to cut the wiring loom to sell one to you) then it is fine to just put on a bunch of spade connectors directly into the fitting. When you put the connectors onto the wires, make sure you solder them and put a small amount of heatshrink around each individual connector."

pretty much you want to have as little resistance as possible in the wires. you can try it out the way you have it anyway if you want. i don't really see what it will hurt if you are keeping a really close eye on everything plus the RRs are fairly cheap.

as far as capping the extra pos and neg wires it sounds like you could have just spliced them together. i'm not 100% on this though.

"For EFI model Hondas, you will have eight wires, not 5. The DC power leads (red and black) are doubled up for some reason. Just connect the two of them to the corresponding colour lead from the R1 plug."

yours is the other way around though with the RR having the extra wires, not the bike but it would seem to me it would still work in the same manner. i'm unsure whether or not this makes a difference as far as not failing, though anyway

so pretty much i'd say go with what you have and keep a close eye on it for the time being. start it up and go through the charging system tests from the first page. then ride it and gradually increase your ride lengths and see how hot the RR gets and if the bike starts running rough

also, those quotes are from http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/...g_replace.html from the first page of this thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM

We seem to have the same rr but mine is brand new for 100$ from a cycle service place so im sure they paid about 70 for it... looks good i got brand new clips as you can see and soldered and clipped connectors together with dielectric grease.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by radman3120
well, here is what i've read regarding the quick connectors:

"Do not use any sort of crimped endings. There is serious amounts of current going through here and the crimped leads will burn up very quickly."
Took your advice on this. I cut off the crimped quick connects, and replaced with soldered quick connects. I feel better about this now. Thanks for the nudge.

as far as capping the extra pos and neg wires it sounds like you could have just spliced them together.
I read somewhere that the best thing to do was cap the redundant set of pos & neg leads, so I did. So far so good. At 2500rpm, I am seeing about 13.25 or so, and at 5000rpms, I am seeing about 13.9ish. Seems to be working well so far, but I havent done a long ride yet.

so pretty much i'd say go with what you have and keep a close eye on it for the time being. start it up and go through the charging system tests from the first page. then ride it and gradually increase your ride lengths and see how hot the RR gets and if the bike starts running rough
Yup. Keeping a eye on things for sure. Did just a mile or so trip today to test it out, and seems to be doing well so far. The RR was a little warm to the touch, but NOTHING like the stock RR. The wires and harness were also a bit warm, but substantially less than before the GSXR RR went on. It would burn the crap out of me after just a few minutes of running before.

Having other problems with the bike that I havent figured out yet (bogging down over 5K rpms), so I dont want to get too far from home until I figure that problem out.

Quick Reply: Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved