F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine with a GSXR unit as described in this post. It's about twice the size as the stock one and required some playing around and drilling in order to make it fit. I flipped the mounting plate to the other side, drilled new holes and relocated the ground wire to a different spot on the frame. I'll take some pictures tonight. When I was getting into it, I wished someone had posted pics of what theirs completed looked like. Hopefully my pics will make someone happy.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 PM

im hoping someone checks in on this but i was out riding earlier and everything just died on my bike except my headlight which is a hid and runs on a seperate switch directly from the battery so i knew my battery was good(it is also only like 2 weeks old) so i figured i blew a fuse and i got it home checked and my main fuse was blown so i replaced it and as soon as i plugged the conecter to it back on i look up and my rectifier is smoking badly even with the bike completely shut off so i hurry up and unplug the main fuse plug again so it stops overheating. the rectifier isnt a stock one its a replacement so i dont know why its still burning up when the bike is shut off because doesnt it just ground out extra energy from the alternator but if my bike is off where is it getting all that extra energy from?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM

take a close look at you wiring harness...probably the easiest way is to remove body panels and tank. i have seen harness wires melted together which caused this behavior. but if that's the case you still have to find what caused them to heat up and melt together in the first place

Old 02-27-2010, 05:31 PM

i have everything taken off my bike and i looked through the harness and didnt see anything the first time around although my harness is a mess from the owner before me so ill probably have another look through to see what i can find because it actually drained all the juice out of my battery just hooking it up

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM

yea something is shorted out...you can try checking continuity between different wires to the frame (ground) and different combos of wires that don't normally cross. once you get continuity where it shouldn't be you can trace it to the source

Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Okay - so I think my rectifier is bad .... Battery is okay - I can start and run the bike - as I drive around town the bike heats up and inevitably DIES - the only way to get home is to make a straight run for it - no stopping or slowing below 3-4k in rpms.... if it dips below it dies... my fan works / fluid is good... it is super frustrating having your bike die at every light! Any recommendations / suggestions / helpful info???

Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ShotGunBetty
Okay - so I think my rectifier is bad .... Battery is okay - I can start and run the bike - as I drive around town the bike heats up and inevitably DIES - the only way to get home is to make a straight run for it - no stopping or slowing below 3-4k in rpms.... if it dips below it dies... my fan works / fluid is good... it is super frustrating having your bike die at every light! Any recommendations / suggestions / helpful info???
When the bike heats up, are you saying it gets to operating temperature then dies or it overheats then shuts off?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ShotGunBetty
yup, rectifier

Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by halffast1g
When the bike heats up, are you saying it gets to operating temperature then dies or it overheats then shuts off?

Operating temp

Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 PM

If anyone's R/R kicks it i have an extra one for 35. PM if interested

Quick Reply: Regulator rectifier (R/R) problem solved